Old 23-03-2003, 05:56 AM
DGiunti

Default Holes bored in a Bradford pear tree

Lou Minatti writes:

Anyone know what critter bored these holes? They're not deep, perhaps
as deep as a pencil eraser.

http://www.watchingyou.com/treeholes.jpg

This is a Bradford pear. I'm in Houston. I took the picture back in
January, and I looked today and the tree is no worse for the wear. In
fact, it's just about fully leafed-out, putting on lots of new growth.
But the holes are still there. I didn't notice the boring on any of my
other trees, just this one. Thanks.

Your yard may have been the scene of a Woody WoodPecker cartoon filming, and
you just did not know it. Most of the time the WPs are exploring for grubs.
Sometimes you need to patch the holes, and sometimes you don't. You are not
getting any sap ouze or discoloration around the holes. Most likely they did
not find anything of interest and just flew away.

Some people can differentiate WP species by their handiwork. A birder from
your area may have more info.

David Giunti email: unity
What is the question? Gertrude Stein's last words
No one mouth is big enough to utter the whole thing. Alan Watts

On Display in the UK
http://www.web-gallery.co.uk