Old 17-11-2006, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Kill filing

I had no idea Judith was going to post tonight. But I am very glad she has
because she has exposed the malice directed at the very heart of her life
and career.
And I would like just to say this - while I have every sympathy with those
who kill file persistent cross posting and off topic trolls, I would also
like to point out that many of those who emailed me and Judith about what
was done to her said they didn't know about it because they had kill filed
Puke. I understand their reasons for doing so and I sympathise with their
impatience with her methods but she, Puke, DID come here purporting to give
gardening advice. As a result of that, she should have been read and
watched when it became apparent that much of what she wrote was not good
advice at all. IMO, the group and all those asking advice of it, deserve
the vigilance of everyone posting here. A very few of us adhered to that
and as a result, we received a horrible amount of abuse and Judith was
subjected to a torrent of it.
If you - all of us - want this to be a real group we ALL have to look after
it. We ALL have to make sure it is not abused by *anyone*. I am not
interested in garden machinery or growing leeks but I did, at least, skim
every thread to see what was going on. If people don't do that, they miss
what was being done to Judith and could be done to others. Sorry but that
won't do. A couple of years ago, a very valuable poster to this group
remarked that people were coming here, taking what they wanted and otherwise
contributing nothing. She predicted then that this would damage urg and I
admit freely that I thought she was exaggerating. I was wrong and she was
right and she is another who has gone, as have several other real experts.
That "Pull up the ladder Jack, I'm alright" outlook was why Judith was
treated so appallingly. Afterwards, several people expressed their private
regrets to me in emails but too late. URG has been horribly tainted by this
closing of the eyes to what does not affect the individual and it seems to
me that it should never be allowed to happen again.
IMO, the lesson to be learned from this is that if you kill file over
zealously, you lose the thread - literally - and then, you lose the group.
If you're a member of a group, then I think it is up to you to make sure the
group remains healthy.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk