Old 18-11-2006, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Growers Information Growers Information is offline

Default Maple roots

I love maple trees because you can not beat the fall color but some
varieties do pose this problem. Over the long haul, sod will not work.
The roots will grow through it., and you will be right back where you
started. I would plant some shade tolerant ground cover over the area.
Hosta is a great choice if you are in a cooler climate. Don't wait
any longer than you have to, as the roots will continue to grow, and
planting something directly under the tree will get tougher every year.

Craig Cooper is a Minnesota home gardener. More of his articles and
other gardening information can be found at http://www.growersinfo.com
or you can e-mail

keith_nuttle wrote:
I have several mature trees on our lot where the roots have come to the
surface and are sufficiently exposed to cause problems with the mower.

These trees are Maple and Ash.

Can anything be done to level the area under the trees.

I had though about placing sod between the roots but I have heard that
is not a good idea.