Old 18-11-2006, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Maple roots

I have several mature trees on our lot where the roots have come to the
surface and are sufficiently exposed to cause problems with the mower.

These trees are Maple and Ash.

Can anything be done to level the area under the trees.

I had though about placing sod between the roots but I have heard that
is not a good idea.
Old 18-11-2006, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

"keith_nuttle" wrote in message
et...
I have several mature trees on our lot where the roots have come to the
surface and are sufficiently exposed to cause problems with the mower.

These trees are Maple and Ash.

Can anything be done to level the area under the trees.

I had though about placing sod between the roots but I have heard that is
not a good idea.

I had a friend who tried sod, followed by building a huge raised bed over
the roots. The roots still found their way to the surface. This is why
maples are to be avoided near civilization, or at least researched so you
know what you're getting into before planting one.

Old 18-11-2006, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

I love maple trees because you can not beat the fall color but some
varieties do pose this problem. Over the long haul, sod will not work.
The roots will grow through it., and you will be right back where you
started. I would plant some shade tolerant ground cover over the area.
Hosta is a great choice if you are in a cooler climate. Don't wait
any longer than you have to, as the roots will continue to grow, and
planting something directly under the tree will get tougher every year.

Craig Cooper is a Minnesota home gardener. More of his articles and
other gardening information can be found at http://www.growersinfo.com
or you can e-mail

Old 18-11-2006, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Growers Information" wrote in message
oups.com...
I love maple trees because you can not beat the fall color but some
varieties do pose this problem. Over the long haul, sod will not work.
The roots will grow through it., and you will be right back where you
started. I would plant some shade tolerant ground cover over the area.
Hosta is a great choice if you are in a cooler climate. Don't wait
any longer than you have to, as the roots will continue to grow, and
planting something directly under the tree will get tougher every year.

Pachysandra. The solution to almost everything, except the existence of
Republicans.

Old 19-11-2006, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 20:58:44 GMT, keith_nuttle
wrote:

I have several mature trees on our lot where the roots have come to the
surface and are sufficiently exposed to cause problems with the mower.

These trees are Maple and Ash.

Can anything be done to level the area under the trees.

I had though about placing sod between the roots but I have heard that
is not a good idea.

Some would say the mower is causing problems for the tree . . .