Old 20-11-2006, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Derryl Killan Derryl Killan is offline

Default How to prune big old apple tree

Zootal wrote:
I have a very large very old apple tree in my back yard. It has not been
maintained much the last few years. It consists of a few main branches and
hundreds of suckers growing straight up from the branches. Should I remove
all of the upright growing suckers? I hate to butcher the tree, but it is in
serious need of some TLC.

Prune all of those waterspouts flush with the branches.

Remove all crossed and rubbing branches and dead and diseased wood.

No need for pruning paint.
Derryl
Horticulturist
Calgary AB