Old 23-11-2006, 02:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Lawn turned brown, still needs winterize?

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Rolling Thunder said:

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 19:45:06 -0500, John Smith
wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"John Smith" wrote in message

This is the first time I have this kind of lawn. It turns brown in
winter. Do I still need to winterize it? If yes, when? Is it too
late now? Thanks.

Any idea where you live?

North Carolina. Sounds like there might be a chance that it's not
too late.

Winterize before Thanksgiving if it is tall fescue. If warm weather
grass, like bermuda, it is dormant and you can wait until March or
April.

If his brown turf is tall fescue, in North Carolina, in November, it's
dead. More likely, the sod is not a cool season grass.

I think the grass is bermuda. It's dormant now. If I apply
fertilizer, wouldn't the fertililzer stimulate the growth of the
grass? Is that good for grass that is dormant?