Old 21-11-2006, 12:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Default Lawn turned brown, still needs winterize?

This is the first time I have this kind of lawn. It turns brown in
winter. Do I still need to winterize it? If yes, when? Is it too
late now? Thanks.
Old 21-11-2006, 07:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

"John Smith" wrote in message
This is the first time I have this kind of lawn. It turns brown in
winter. Do I still need to winterize it? If yes, when? Is it too
late now? Thanks.

Any idea where you live?

Old 22-11-2006, 12:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"John Smith" wrote in message

This is the first time I have this kind of lawn. It turns brown in
winter. Do I still need to winterize it? If yes, when? Is it too
late now? Thanks.

Any idea where you live?

North Carolina. Sounds like there might be a chance that it's not
too late.
Old 22-11-2006, 06:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 19:45:06 -0500, John Smith
wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"John Smith" wrote in message

This is the first time I have this kind of lawn. It turns brown in
winter. Do I still need to winterize it? If yes, when? Is it too
late now? Thanks.

Any idea where you live?

North Carolina. Sounds like there might be a chance that it's not
too late.

Winterize before Thanksgiving if it is tall fescue. If warm weather
grass, like bermuda, it is dormant and you can wait until March or
April.

Thunder
Old 22-11-2006, 11:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"John Smith" wrote in message

This is the first time I have this kind of lawn. It turns brown in
winter. Do I still need to winterize it? If yes, when? Is it too
late now? Thanks.

Any idea where you live?

North Carolina. Sounds like there might be a chance that it's not
too late.

Winterize before Thanksgiving if it is tall fescue. If warm weather
grass, like bermuda, it is dormant and you can wait until March or
April.

If his brown turf is tall fescue, in North Carolina, in November, it's
dead. More likely, the sod is not a cool season grass.

--

Eggs

- Listen: Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for
a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate
from the masses, not from some... farcical aquatic ceremony!

Old 23-11-2006, 02:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"John Smith" wrote in message

This is the first time I have this kind of lawn. It turns brown in
winter. Do I still need to winterize it? If yes, when? Is it too
late now? Thanks.

Any idea where you live?

North Carolina. Sounds like there might be a chance that it's not
too late.

Winterize before Thanksgiving if it is tall fescue. If warm weather
grass, like bermuda, it is dormant and you can wait until March or
April.

If his brown turf is tall fescue, in North Carolina, in November, it's
dead. More likely, the sod is not a cool season grass.

I think the grass is bermuda. It's dormant now. If I apply
fertilizer, wouldn't the fertililzer stimulate the growth of the
grass? Is that good for grass that is dormant?
Old 23-11-2006, 04:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

John Smith said:

wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"John Smith" wrote in message

This is the first time I have this kind of lawn. It turns brown in
winter. Do I still need to winterize it? If yes, when? Is it too
late now? Thanks.

Any idea where you live?

North Carolina. Sounds like there might be a chance that it's not
too late.

Winterize before Thanksgiving if it is tall fescue. If warm weather
grass, like bermuda, it is dormant and you can wait until March or
April.

If his brown turf is tall fescue, in North Carolina, in November, it's
dead. More likely, the sod is not a cool season grass.

I think the grass is bermuda. It's dormant now. If I apply
fertilizer, wouldn't the fertililzer stimulate the growth of the
grass? Is that good for grass that is dormant?

I'll be the first to admit that turf grasses aren't my specialty, but I'd
venture a guess that it's past time to winterize your lawn, especially if
it's already fully dormant. Probably best to wait until early spring (maybe
Feb, for your area?). I'm zone 5b, and bermuda is an invasive pest, here.

--

Eggs

The Lady of the Lake-- her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held
aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine
providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your
king!
Old 23-11-2006, 04:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:12:47 -0500, John Smith
wrote:

wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"John Smith" wrote in message

This is the first time I have this kind of lawn. It turns brown in
winter. Do I still need to winterize it? If yes, when? Is it too
late now? Thanks.

Any idea where you live?

North Carolina. Sounds like there might be a chance that it's not
too late.

Winterize before Thanksgiving if it is tall fescue. If warm weather
grass, like bermuda, it is dormant and you can wait until March or
April.

If his brown turf is tall fescue, in North Carolina, in November, it's
dead. More likely, the sod is not a cool season grass.

I think the grass is bermuda. It's dormant now. If I apply
fertilizer, wouldn't the fertililzer stimulate the growth of the
grass? Is that good for grass that is dormant?

Take a look at following for warm season winterizing:

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Deskto...Cont ent=Tips

As I said, wait on fertilizing bermuda until later.

Thunder

Old 23-11-2006, 04:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

I think the grass is bermuda. It's dormant now. If I apply
fertilizer, wouldn't the fertililzer stimulate the growth of the
grass? Is that good for grass that is dormant?

All you need to know about maintaining Bermuda is he

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Pubs/M...ent/ag-431.pdf
Old 23-11-2006, 05:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

I think the grass is bermuda. It's dormant now. If I apply
fertilizer, wouldn't the fertililzer stimulate the growth of the
grass? Is that good for grass that is dormant?

All you need to know about maintaining Bermuda is he

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Pubs/M...ent/ag-431.pdf

Thanks for the info.