Old 23-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Jon

Default Green Water

Thanks for the tips - I have also just discovered that the UV filter is no
longer working and needs a new tube - I am hoping that replacing it will
reduce the green water

Jon

"K30a" wrote in message
Hi Jon,

It is early days yet.
Your plants are probably just now waking
up and thinking about getting their acts
together. They will start competing with the
algae for the ponds nutrients and your green water ought to slowly go

away.
I'll attach my green water tips here for you:

Algae fighting tips

~ New ponds and spring ponds need time for plants to get established,

algae is
quicker at getting going!
~ add LOTS of plants, of any kind, in the pond. Especially underwater

plants.
~ Shade is good - provided by lily pads, floating plants or artificial

shade
for part of the day.
~ LOW fish stocking (20 gallons per goldfish, 100 per koi) and not

overfeeding
the fish.
~ building a mechanical filter to screen gunk.
~ build a veggie filter, run water through plants, as easy as floating

water
hyacinth in your filter.
~ clean up dead plant matter and screen for falling leaves
in the fall.
~ water movement, occasional water changes of 10%
~ add a sludge consumer, concentrated bacteria.
I use A HREF="http://united-tech.com"http://united-tech.com/A
~ building ponds with bottom drains and skimmers.
~ do not use algaecides, they only make lots of suddenly dead algae
and that will feed the next algae bloom.
~ gently remove string algae
~ patience ;-)

k30a