Old 23-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Jon

Default Green Water

Hi
I hope someone can give me a pointer or two on curing the green water in our
pond. Appeared a few weeks back - we live in South West UK so it is just
coming into spring. I have tried several products to clear it without
success. I have tested the water for nitrates, nitrites , ammonia, PH etc.
Apart from a slightly alkaline PH reading everything is pretty much normal
but the green water will not shift so any suggestions much appreciated

thanks in advance

Jon

Old 23-03-2003, 03:20 PM
K30a

Hi Jon,

It is early days yet.
Your plants are probably just now waking
up and thinking about getting their acts
together. They will start competing with the
algae for the ponds nutrients and your green water ought to slowly go away.
I'll attach my green water tips here for you:

Algae fighting tips

~ New ponds and spring ponds need time for plants to get established, algae is
quicker at getting going!
~ add LOTS of plants, of any kind, in the pond. Especially underwater plants.
~ Shade is good - provided by lily pads, floating plants or artificial shade
for part of the day.
~ LOW fish stocking (20 gallons per goldfish, 100 per koi) and not overfeeding
the fish.
~ building a mechanical filter to screen gunk.
~ build a veggie filter, run water through plants, as easy as floating water
hyacinth in your filter.
~ clean up dead plant matter and screen for falling leaves
in the fall.
~ water movement, occasional water changes of 10%
~ add a sludge consumer, concentrated bacteria.
I use A HREF="http://united-tech.com"http://united-tech.com/A
~ building ponds with bottom drains and skimmers.
~ do not use algaecides, they only make lots of suddenly dead algae
and that will feed the next algae bloom.
~ gently remove string algae
~ patience ;-)

k30a
Old 23-03-2003, 04:08 PM
K30a

Brewer wrote
Posted via the GardenerCentral.com forums

View this thread: A
HREF="http://www.gardenercentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5490"
http://www.gardenercentral.com/forum...?threadid=5490/A

I went to the link and there was Jon's question and my answer! What happened?
Is this *legal*
so to speak?

k30a
Old 23-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Jon

Thanks for the tips - I have also just discovered that the UV filter is no
longer working and needs a new tube - I am hoping that replacing it will
reduce the green water

Jon

Old 23-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Brewer

K30a wrote:
*
I went to the link and there was Jon's question and my answer! What
happened?
Is this *legal*
so to speak?

k30a *

It's a Usenet archive much like what Google and a few other sites do,
but only for gardening related news groups. My ISP's don't provide
usenet access anymore, and many people don't know how to use it if they
do have access. Also, news postings expire after a few weeks and that
information is lost, but the archive will retain all the postings for
future reference.

Sorry for the site promo, but you asked. The site is just getting
started, but I'm proud of what is there so far.

--
Brewer

Old 23-03-2003, 06:08 PM
K30a

Brewer wrote It's a Usenet archive much like what Google and a few other
sites do,
but only for gardening related news groups.

Okay, I've been archived before.
Also been plagiarized before so I'm
paranoid ;-)

k30a
Old 24-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Brewer

Hik k30a,

Thanks for the green water tips. One of the biggest problems I have
seen in some of the local ponds is people putting too many fish in the
pond and feeding them too much. This puts lots of extra nutrients in
the pond, especially at the beginning of the year when you don't have
many plants in the pond. Until you can get a good growth of pond
plants you might want to consider adding a biological filter to your
pond to help keep the nutrient levels in check. Doing a partial water
change may help also.

--
Brewer

Old 29-05-2006, 05:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

On 23 Mar 2003 (K30a) wrote:

[...]

It's always good to be reminded of the
essentials.

My inground pond doesn't have any filtration
but it does have a lot of plants. I get some
string algae - or that pale green stuff that tends
to float on the top - mostly around the shallow
end. The above ground goldfish pond has
a filter and it never gets any but the good algae.
The above ground minnow pond has no
filter (other than lots of plants, like all my ponds)
and will get a bit of algae, but nothing massive.

This year I added a solar powered water
oxygenator (air pump) to the above ground
minnow pond, and a floating solar water
fountain to the inground pond.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA

Old 29-05-2006, 05:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Green Water - murky water

*Note: There are two *Koi-Lo's* on the pond and aquaria groups.

"~ janj" wrote in message
I don't think K30 will mind if I post this again. ~ jan

On 23 Mar 2003 (K30a) wrote:

Algae fighting tips................

====================
My 2000g pond was crystal clear until the koi started spawning at sunup.
It's now a dirty murky brown from their stirring up the mulm among the
plants along two sides. There's froth and foam everywhere and they're
still at it.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 29-05-2006, 06:02 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

When are you gonna learn, You need to keep Carol Gulley out of your
ponds if yu want yur water to be clean......CArol is such a nasty
inconsiderate bitch, its amazing yur not getting sick and diseased
fish as well as green water..........Only advantage to letting CArol
around yur place is she is one heck of a shit eater, so she is apt to
clean up all that dog and cat shit, that she finds, but then yu have
to contend with her howling at the moon at nite so its a no win
situation with CArol Gulley the shit eating bitch.

Old 29-05-2006, 07:01 PM posted to rec.ponds
Go Fig

The 100% proof positive way to rid the pond of suspended algae... green
water, is a U.V.

I have been advocating UVs here for more than a decade... now they are
common place at every pond website and most manufactures have added one
to their product line... go fig ;-)

K30, at my request, did include a UV to the below list in later
revisions... but IIRC added something to the effect ...'some people
say...'

UV treats suspended algae by anyone's accounting.

jay
Mon May 29, 2006