Old 02-12-2006, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Buying compost in bulk

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I normally buy 50 odd bags of compost to stick/mulch on the raised beds.
I sometimes get it from a builders merchant who will let me have a
discount for bulk delivery. I pay 3.00 a bag from him.

Just wondered if there was any where else I ought to investigate before
putting in my order. Can you buy in bulk from the manufacturers or do
they require an order of hundreds?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Are you talking about bagged potting composts or just composted something
which happens to be in bags? (in which case local councils often have
composted green waste)
Down here mushroom compost is free, but you have to pay transport.
If its bagged potting compost, sadly it cost as much in bulk from
horticultural wholesalers as deals from garden centres (often for the same
stuff) Its a lot cheaper buying loose and mixing it all yourself but that
requires a lot of space and time.

Should have added that wholesalers normally sell by the pallet load which
varies but is around 40 something bags.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk