Old 02-12-2006, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Buying compost in bulk

I normally buy 50 odd bags of compost to stick/mulch on the raised beds.
I sometimes get it from a builders merchant who will let me have a
discount for bulk delivery. I pay 3.00 a bag from him.

Just wondered if there was any where else I ought to investigate before
putting in my order. Can you buy in bulk from the manufacturers or do
they require an order of hundreds?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 02-12-2006, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I normally buy 50 odd bags of compost to stick/mulch on the raised beds.
I sometimes get it from a builders merchant who will let me have a
discount for bulk delivery. I pay 3.00 a bag from him.

Just wondered if there was any where else I ought to investigate before
putting in my order. Can you buy in bulk from the manufacturers or do
they require an order of hundreds?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Are you talking about bagged potting composts or just composted something
which happens to be in bags? (in which case local councils often have
composted green waste)
Down here mushroom compost is free, but you have to pay transport.
If its bagged potting compost, sadly it cost as much in bulk from
horticultural wholesalers as deals from garden centres (often for the same
stuff) Its a lot cheaper buying loose and mixing it all yourself but that
requires a lot of space and time.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

[...]

Should have added that wholesalers normally sell by the pallet load which
varies but is around 40 something bags.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 02-12-2006, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I normally buy 50 odd bags of compost to stick/mulch on the raised beds.

[...]

You might want to check on its provenance. Bagged compost is often a peat
product and there are environmental issues. Issues for the peat bog, not for
your garden that is.

Tim W

Old 02-12-2006, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/12/06 10:58, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

[...]

I think Janet's best bet is to contact a supplier of compost that sells to
her local nursery or gc and ask if they'd drop a pallet or two off at her
place on the way. I think it's unlikely they'd cooperate, unfortunately, as
most of these things are hauled around on huge lorries. OTOH, she might be
able to do a deal with her local nursery to have a couple of pallets
earmarked for her and delivered to them, if they have the room to keep it.
Then she could pick up as much as she can transport at any one time. All
that is assuming she wants actual, branded, compost. As you say, councils
usually supply/sell off waste.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-12-2006, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:
I normally buy 50 odd bags of compost to stick/mulch on the raised
beds. I sometimes get it from a builders merchant who will let me
have a discount for bulk delivery. I pay 3.00 a bag from him.

Just wondered if there was any where else I ought to investigate
before putting in my order. Can you buy in bulk from the
manufacturers or do they require an order of hundreds?

Janet

We use Humax http://www.humax.co.uk/index.html and have our compost
delivered in bulk bags (two to a head height pallet) There's a bit more
about them here
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/prod/di...dia/humax.html
as their own website isn't up to much.
We have a general nursery mix and a tree mix. Nice stuff... It may be
worth giveng them a call.

No, i don't work for them. Just use up to 600 litres of the stuff a day....

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our
brains drop out. (Richard Dawkins)

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 02-12-2006, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:
: Just wondered if there was any where else I ought to investigate
: before putting in my order. Can you buy in bulk from the
: manufacturers or do they require an order of hundreds?
:
: Janet
:
Depends where you are. I have a huge trailer and collect a full load of
compost (still steaming) for about £12 and another load of composted zoo poo
(Manure from Paignton Zoo) for £15 from a private firm that occupies part of
Chelson Meadow, the Plymouth rubbish tip. Marvellous stuff

Old 02-12-2006, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I buy mine from a local farm at 50 pence a very large and heavy bag - manage
to get 8 - 9 in the car at once
just picked up 9 off there tomorrow to get another 9 bags!

Old 03-12-2006, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie Pridham
writes

Are you talking about bagged potting composts or just composted something
which happens to be in bags? (in which case local councils often have
composted green waste)

No not touching council stuff, I have seen what goes into them, a lot of
ground elder for a start

Down here mushroom compost is free, but you have to pay transport.

Couldn't do with any more alkaline stuff just use well rotted manure etc
not the fine seed and potting stuff.
Would have a lorry load but by the time I've gone up and down the garden
it might have ruined the driveway!

If its bagged potting compost, sadly it cost as much in bulk from
horticultural wholesalers as deals from garden centres (often for the same
stuff) Its a lot cheaper buying loose and mixing it all yourself but that
requires a lot of space and time.

I have four very large compost heaps but would like something to beef it
up like well rotted stable stuff etc. Round here there's not many that
seem to deliver and my car wouldn't carry 50 large bags!

Old 03-12-2006, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie Pridham
writes

Should have added that wholesalers normally sell by the pallet load which
varies but is around 40 something bags.

Which one would you go with Charlie? Tried the Irish firm last year and
the stuff was a bit too peaty and a bit too sterile for my liking. Okay
now it's been on a year but very dry and coarse for sowing into in the
spring.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

I think Janet's best bet is to contact a supplier of compost that sells to
her local nursery or gc and ask if they'd drop a pallet or two off at her
place on the way.

I can store 50 bags easily Sacha on my driveway/down the side of the
house ) but it was just a bit disappointing quality wise last year.
Don't care about named stuff just as long as it's fairly good quality.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Les Hemmings
writes

We use Humax http://www.humax.co.uk/index.html and have our compost
delivered in bulk bags (two to a head height pallet) There's a bit more
about them here
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/prod/di...46/hort/growin
gmedia/humax.html
as their own website isn't up to much.

Bookmarked! Many thanks, will investigate them. If stables did bags and
delivered, even if they charged I would use them as I only want to top
dress but none round here.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Robert
writes

Depends where you are. I have a huge trailer and collect a full load of
compost (still steaming) for about £12 and another load of composted zoo poo
(Manure from Paignton Zoo) for £15 from a private firm that occupies part of
Chelson Meadow, the Plymouth rubbish tip. Marvellous stuff

Hmmm not sure travelling from Amersham to Paignton or actually the
other way, with a lorry load of steaming zoo poo might not be described
as an environmental hazard
Old 03-12-2006, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Robert
writes

Depends where you are. I have a huge trailer and collect a full load of
compost (still steaming) for about £12 and another load of composted zoo

poo
(Manure from Paignton Zoo) for £15 from a private firm that occupies part

of
Chelson Meadow, the Plymouth rubbish tip. Marvellous stuff

Hmmm not sure travelling from Amersham to Paignton or actually the
other way, with a lorry load of steaming zoo poo might not be described
as an environmental hazard
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

We are presently working our way through someone's huge and old pile of
stable clearings, lovely stuff but no good for mulching, far too many weeds!
we cover at all with uncomposted shreddings to try and prevent nettles etc.
Something sterilised in bags would be great :~)

The council stuff at Chelson Meadow is quite safe the temperatures are too
high for anything plantwise to survive, its just too far to go and fetch but
friends in Plymouth use it for their nursery.