Old 03-12-2006, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Buying compost in bulk

In article , Charlie Pridham
writes

Are you talking about bagged potting composts or just composted something
which happens to be in bags? (in which case local councils often have
composted green waste)

No not touching council stuff, I have seen what goes into them, a lot of
ground elder for a start

Down here mushroom compost is free, but you have to pay transport.

Couldn't do with any more alkaline stuff just use well rotted manure etc
not the fine seed and potting stuff.
Would have a lorry load but by the time I've gone up and down the garden
it might have ruined the driveway!

If its bagged potting compost, sadly it cost as much in bulk from
horticultural wholesalers as deals from garden centres (often for the same
stuff) Its a lot cheaper buying loose and mixing it all yourself but that
requires a lot of space and time.

I have four very large compost heaps but would like something to beef it
up like well rotted stable stuff etc. Round here there's not many that
seem to deliver and my car wouldn't carry 50 large bags!

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph