Old 04-12-2006, 12:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
V_coerulea V_coerulea is offline

Default potinaras, etc

Thanks for the notes Nancy and Sue. I should have also mentionned that I
grow these alongside catts, other blc's, lc's, laelias, etc that have no
problems. I'm wondering if there is some specific thing I may be doing wrong
with the slc's, pots and Oconee hybrids. Do they need cooler temps than
other blcs or catts? more shade? less fertilizer? Of course, I just had a
Blc Oconee 'Mendenhall' X Slc Ruffles 'Crimson Glory' hybrid just come into
bloom with no problems on the blooms or growth! Wouldn't you know, just when
I thought maybe I might be on to something (I'll post a pic over on abpo as
soon as I get to it). Anyway, if something else occurs to you along these
lines that might be helpful, I'd appreciate your input. Thanks
Gary

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
.. .
I seem to have a little problem with potinaras, some slc's and Blc Oconee
and where Oconee is a direct parent. I get burning on the leaves
particularly any new growth in anything less than 20% shade. I leave up 20%
shade over a 20X20' section of the greenhouse during winter. That section
increases to 60% in mid-summer, some gets 40% and the rest is 20% at that
time. Most of my catts get full light in the morning and 20% shade from
noon on at this time of year. Most species are in full sun. As I increase
shade the above mentionned hybrids seem to have less problem with leaf
burn. I live below 33o latitude in the southern US where the sun is strong
even at this time of the year. I guess my main question is: Are these
hybrids that sun sensitive everywhere? Should I look for just that right
spot or forget growing them here? Thanks for your input.
Gary