Old 02-12-2006, 12:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default potinaras, etc

I seem to have a little problem with potinaras, some slc's and Blc Oconee
and where Oconee is a direct parent. I get burning on the leaves
particularly any new growth in anything less than 20% shade. I leave up 20%
shade over a 20X20' section of the greenhouse during winter. That section
increases to 60% in mid-summer, some gets 40% and the rest is 20% at that
time. Most of my catts get full light in the morning and 20% shade from noon
on at this time of year. Most species are in full sun. As I increase shade
the above mentionned hybrids seem to have less problem with leaf burn. I
live below 33o latitude in the southern US where the sun is strong even at
this time of the year. I guess my main question is: Are these hybrids that
sun sensitive everywhere? Should I look for just that right spot or forget
growing them here? Thanks for your input.
Gary

Old 03-12-2006, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

V_coerulea wrote:
[...]

Look for the right spot. If you are growing in a greenhouse during the
summer, remember that the roof will filter 10% or more of the light.
Adding a 60% shade cloth will reduce the available light to only about
30%. If you increase the light intensity during the summer (reduce the
shade density) and match the orientation of the plant, you should
actually need very little shade during the winter. I have a
translucent insulation in the roof, but no shade on the windows for my
catt hybrids during the winter in Missouri.

I move mine outside the first week of May. The sun starts out with a
more southerly orientation, and lower in the sky. By midsummer it gets
intense. While they are under trees, they get no shade until after 10
a.m. in midsummer, some don't get any shade for another hour. They are
shaded by the trees for 3 to 4 hours, then get afternoon sun. When
they are acclimated to the higher light levels, they don't burn, unless
I change their orientation to the sun or move a plant that may be
shading a portion of the leaf (bikini burn).

I will tell you, it is not easy to acclimate a mature plant to those
conditions. Most of my plants were purchased as small seedlings and
have always lived under bright condition. Their growth is lighter and
firmer than most mature plants I have purchased. Hybrids bought as
mature plants will sunburn and bear careful watching. I put them on
the most protected end of the tables. When the new growth develops
under brighter light, they handle the increased intensity much better
than the old growth. But they may look rough for 2 or 3 years, while
the plant is growing under the brighter light.

Not sure where "here" is exactly in your case. The intensity of the
sunlight will vary with the altitude, humidity, and cloud cover.

Happy growing, Nancy

Old 03-12-2006, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 07:57:57 -0500, "V_coerulea"
wrote:

[...]

If the leaves are not getting hot to the touch - you could be
contributing to the sunburn by not feeding enough to balance the
increased light. This is a triangle that needs to balance = food,
water and light.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 04-12-2006, 12:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks for the notes Nancy and Sue. I should have also mentionned that I
grow these alongside catts, other blc's, lc's, laelias, etc that have no
problems. I'm wondering if there is some specific thing I may be doing wrong
with the slc's, pots and Oconee hybrids. Do they need cooler temps than
other blcs or catts? more shade? less fertilizer? Of course, I just had a
Blc Oconee 'Mendenhall' X Slc Ruffles 'Crimson Glory' hybrid just come into
bloom with no problems on the blooms or growth! Wouldn't you know, just when
I thought maybe I might be on to something (I'll post a pic over on abpo as
soon as I get to it). Anyway, if something else occurs to you along these
lines that might be helpful, I'd appreciate your input. Thanks
Gary

.. .

Old 05-12-2006, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

V_coerulea wrote:
Thanks for the notes Nancy and Sue. I should have also mentionned that I
grow these alongside catts, other blc's, lc's, laelias, etc that have no
problems. I'm wondering if there is some specific thing I may be doing wrong
with the slc's, pots and Oconee hybrids. Do they need cooler temps than
other blcs or catts? more shade? less fertilizer?

Hybrids can get really interesting. It looks like a catt and blooms
like a catt, but it secretly wants to herd sheep. Some want to rest at
a different time of year or under different conditions, grow with the
pseudobulbs and leaves horizontal, or just be "different".

Potinara add sophronitis into the mix, and they grow in higher altitude
with more humidity, even though the research indicates they grow in
bright conditions. Maybe a cool mist or wet wall during the summer...

I have 2 sibs of the same cross (puchased from C&H, so probably similar
or same as yours) currently in bloom. While the blooms are similar in
shape the color is more intense on one. One will grow upright, the
other wants to lay out and won't bloom until it gets over the edge of
the pot and can sag down and spread out. Naturally, the more
attractive bloom (my opinion) is the one that wants to grow over the
side and tip over or take up 10X as much room on the table. When I
transplant this spring it will go to a basket lined with a coco mat,
either planted in with mix or mounted on with it hanging like a bell.

I nearly killed one of my catt hybrids when I divided it and tried to
force it to conform to upright growth. It had been happily growing in
a hanging 4" clay pot. It was nearly 4' in diameter leaf tip to leaf
tip. Probably waited too long, but I divided it, put it in a bigger
pot with fresh mix, staked and clipped. If orchids could talk, I don't
even want to know what profanity it was using on me. Lost one of the
divisions altogether and was losing the other. I finally gave up and
removed the stake. The ingrate is growing again, but I set it back a
couple of years.

Not much help,

Nancy

Old 05-12-2006, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hybrids can get really interesting. It looks like a catt and blooms like
a catt, but it secretly wants to herd sheep.

ROFLMAO! I needed a good chuckle, and that did it.

Diana