Old 23-03-2003, 07:20 PM
mandy thomas

Default Veg rotation

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article , "Martin Sykes"

writes:
| I initially made four veg beds, intending to rotate three and use the

fourth
| for permanent crops. However, two of the beds get sun only half of the

day
| and one of the sunny ones is now planted permanently with herbs as my
| original herb patch was too shady.
|
| So, with only two beds, one sunny and one only half-so, how can I best
| rotate my veg to minimise pests? The beds are 6ftx4ft.
|
| The veg I'm growing outside is: Lettuce, spring onions, peas, leeks,

garlic,
| carrots, beetroot, radish, parsnip. No brassicas, which may help?

Unless they are well separated, you can't. Crop rotation as a way
of reducing pests doesn't really work on a domestic scale. So don't
worry too much about it.

Oh!

How 'well separated' need they be? I've created three veg beds for rotation
purposes, about 3 or 4 feet apart. Will this not work? I thought it was
about nutrients in the soil getting exhausted as much as (or more than) an
insect problem.

Thanks!