Old 05-12-2006, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg Chris Hogg is offline

Default Wild weather

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 07:55:53 +0000, Sacha wrote:

We've been harassed by stormy winds all night long and it's still going this
morning. No obvious damage that I can see from my window, though it might
be another story when we go outside. I hope everyone else has come through
unscathed. There were warnings of localised flooding round here and we also
had "don't drive unless you really have to" warnings out.

Here in west Cornwall overlooking Mounts Bay, steady severe southerly
gale (50 mph, Force 9) for several hours Saturday night - Sunday
morning, with a peak gust of about 75 mph (just qualifying as
'hurricane' Force 12) a little before 3 AM. As we are very exposed, I
tend to keep everything well staked, and fortunately very little
damage apart from a couple of branches snapped clean off from a hedge
of Olearia Traversii that took the brunt of it. It's brittle wood but
a fast grower so will recover quickly next year.

--
Chris