Old 03-12-2006, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wild weather

We've been harassed by stormy winds all night long and it's still going this
morning. No obvious damage that I can see from my window, though it might
be another story when we go outside. I hope everyone else has come through
unscathed. There were warnings of localised flooding round here and we also
had "don't drive unless you really have to" warnings out.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-12-2006, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
: We've been harassed by stormy winds all night long and it's still going
this
: morning. No obvious damage that I can see from my window, though it might
: be another story when we go outside. I hope everyone else has come
through
: unscathed. There were warnings of localised flooding round here and we
also
: had "don't drive unless you really have to" warnings out.

I thought the skyline looked different. One of the row of mature oaks that
borders a park at the rear of the house, and the allotments is down. It was
some wind

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 03-12-2006, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/12/06 08:45, in article , "Robert"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
: We've been harassed by stormy winds all night long and it's still going
this
: morning. No obvious damage that I can see from my window, though it might
: be another story when we go outside. I hope everyone else has come
through
: unscathed. There were warnings of localised flooding round here and we
also
: had "don't drive unless you really have to" warnings out.

I thought the skyline looked different. One of the row of mature oaks that
borders a park at the rear of the house, and the allotments is down. It was
some wind

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

An Ali Baba pot has been blown over and broken. It contained a 4 year old
Euryops, one of three standing on the tea room lawn. With the clarity of
hindsight, we must have been out of our minds planting such shrubs in those
pots! Short of breaking them, there was no chance of ever getting them out
but for one at least, nature has done it for us - shame about the pot,
though. A heavy wooden bench has been knocked over but is un-damaged and the
duck weed on one of the ponds has been neatly collected in one corner,
making it much easier for me to scoop out later.
A couple of panes have been broken in one of the greenhouses and we're just
surprised there aren't more, really - still time yet, I suppose, because the
glass has fallen further and the wind shows no sign of abating.
An Eleagnus has been neatly uprooted but not broken, so we hope it can just
be put back without too much trouble. Funnily enough, a taller shrub right
behind it, taking the force of the wind, hasn't budged at all and for once,
the Rhamnus has not blown down in a gale! Again, there's still time,
unfortunately because the wind vane is veering around like a bad thing, so
there's no telling what could go next.
Sorry to hear about the oak tree, though. It's always sad to hear of big,
old trees going over.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

It sounds like you have been fortunate relative to some of the other folk in
your part of the country . 90mph winds?
I (ego ipse) removed a 20 year old cordyline imprisoned in an Ali Baba pot
by use of a hose pipe and pressure washer.It was not mine but belonged to a
neighbour who had a massive sentimental attachment to both items.
Bloody neighbours!!

Old 03-12-2006, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
We've been harassed by stormy winds all night long and it's still going this
morning. No obvious damage that I can see from my window, though it might
be another story when we go outside. I hope everyone else has come through
unscathed. There were warnings of localised flooding round here and we also
had "don't drive unless you really have to" warnings out.

I got very little sleep last night. Louis, our baby grandson came for
the weekend and he was frightened and wanted Mummy so he slept with me
- between the howling wind, the rain battering against the windows, the
bin taking off, the vermin in the loft and the baby clinging to my neck
like a limpet and giving me big wet kisses, it was quite a night.

This morning Edward has left to take him back to London and I am
worried about the roads, there is a lot of local flooding and some of
the roads through Norfolk are not dual carriageways particularly the
route past Thetford Forest, fallen trees have often closed the roads
there and this is our main route to London.

It has gone terribly still here at the moment - even the pheasants are
keeping quiet, the sun comes out in strong bursts and then the sky
lowers again, what a spectrum of weather in 24 hours.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 07:55:53 +0000, Sacha wrote:

We've been harassed by stormy winds all night long and it's still going this
morning. No obvious damage that I can see from my window, though it might
be another story when we go outside. I hope everyone else has come through
unscathed. There were warnings of localised flooding round here and we also
had "don't drive unless you really have to" warnings out.

Here in west Cornwall overlooking Mounts Bay, steady severe southerly
gale (50 mph, Force 9) for several hours Saturday night - Sunday
morning, with a peak gust of about 75 mph (just qualifying as
'hurricane' Force 12) a little before 3 AM. As we are very exposed, I
tend to keep everything well staked, and fortunately very little
damage apart from a couple of branches snapped clean off from a hedge
of Olearia Traversii that took the brunt of it. It's brittle wood but
a fast grower so will recover quickly next year.

--
Chris