Old 07-12-2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.ponds
Tristan Tristan is offline

Default My Conversation with Joe

Trust me its as real as an email address can be, and it gets replies
sent from it to those that bother to send email to it. I do not have
anything to hide....Afterall its disposable.....but Idon't treat them
like that anyhow. With all the bickering and fighting you stil never
see anyone asking a trollfor their email addy much do you. I have been
asked two maybe three times for my email addy on usenet over the many
years I have been onit, and it never lead to problems. Its those idots
who shall remain unmentioned that like to stir up the pot and flood
peoples mailboxes thinking they are actually accomplishing something.

But even that has its benefits as if they are busy flooding mailboxes
its less time they have to play on the internet.

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 21:46:54 +0000, Gill Passman
wrote:

Well I use a munged email address on Usenet (pretty easy to guess the
real one)...means I don't get picked up by harvesting software unless
someone cares to do the job manually.....but then I have nothing to
hide.....and if I do get someone providing my real addy to such groups I
have a delete key in my mail reader, plus filters, so I don't get to see
it....

Now, when it comes to supplying a valid email address - whether on
Usenet, a google group or a forum....the benefit of doing so outweighs
the benefits of not doing so IMO - say, a moderator wants to discuss a
post with you (hopefully not edit or ban outright which IMO is not what
should happen) how can they do this without a valid email address (even
if it is a disposable)???? What if you are getting involved in a flame
war or a dispute which is not in the best interests of the group to
carry on on-line? A valid email address allows this to continue off-line
without impacting the group as a whole....

The only reason I can see for remailers, untraceable emails, fake
addresses, impersonations and maybe hipcrime (although I only have a
vague idea on what this does as I can't be bothered to look it up) is
for people up to no good...who do not have the interests of a group at
heart and truly do not want to participate in the spirit intended....in
a nutshell to troll wanting to cause disruption.....

Gill

BTW I haven't checked if Tristan's email addy is real....