Old 08-12-2006, 05:55 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
P. van Rijckevorsel P. van Rijckevorsel is offline

Default another mystery tree - Livingstone, Zambia

Again, it is hard to say from these two pictures. It looks like a fig to me.
Cutting through the fruit would have confirmed / refuted that.

No way that it could be marula. It might as easily be a species of grass.
PvR

schreef in
Dear All

On a recent visit to Chanter's Lodge in Livingstone we saw this tree -
apparently long unidentified. Perhaps a marula species? The fruit did
not look like fig to me, as it was shiny and leaking a lot of clear sap
when picked.

See the photo on Richard Chanter's blog here

http://uk.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-Zq...0&mx=160&lmt=5

Perhaps someone can clear up the mystery? I may be able to post
another photo later

Regards,
Anton