Old 08-12-2006, 11:02 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default another mystery tree - Livingstone, Zambia

Dear All

On a recent visit to Chanter's Lodge in Livingstone we saw this tree -
apparently long unidentified. Perhaps a marula species? The fruit did
not look like fig to me, as it was shiny and leaking a lot of clear sap
when picked.

See the photo on Richard Chanter's blog here

http://uk.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-Zq...0&mx=160&lmt=5

Perhaps someone can clear up the mystery? I may be able to post
another photo later

Regards,
Anton

Old 08-12-2006, 05:55 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Again, it is hard to say from these two pictures. It looks like a fig to me.
Cutting through the fruit would have confirmed / refuted that.

No way that it could be marula. It might as easily be a species of grass.
PvR

schreef in

Old 18-12-2006, 03:23 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Dec 8, 5:55 pm, "P. van Rijckevorsel" wrote:
Again, it is hard to say from these two pictures. It looks like a fig to me.
Cutting through the fruit would have confirmed / refuted that.

Okay, so here is a bit more about this fruit, including a cross
section. Does not sound at all figgy to me.

http://uk.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-Zq...Kk-?cq=1&p=287

Anton

Old 18-12-2006, 03:53 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Assuming that the brownish stuff in the half fruit on the left is some kind
of kernel, it is not a fig.

The picture is so vague as not to ring any bells at all, although all this
clear (sticky?) fluid is most odd.

PvR

schreef

Old 18-12-2006, 06:24 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In message . com,
writes

On Dec 8, 5:55 pm, "P. van Rijckevorsel" wrote:
Again, it is hard to say from these two pictures. It looks like a fig to me.
Cutting through the fruit would have confirmed / refuted that.

Okay, so here is a bit more about this fruit, including a cross
section. Does not sound at all figgy to me.

http://uk.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-Zq...Kk-?cq=1&p=287

Anton

If I recall correctly the earlier photographs didn't suggest Thespesia
(or Azanza) garckeana to me, but some of the description of the fruit
brings that back to my mind - one of the names for the edible fruit is
snot-apple. Try the following PDF and see if it helps

http://www.dfsc.dk/pdf/Seedleaflets/...ana_79_int.pdf
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 21-12-2006, 03:12 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Thanks for the PDF link, but this does not seem right.

The fruit skin is smooth, not hairy, and not woody (unless I missed
something). The colours I saw ranged from green to yellow / orange
(ripe?). Mind you, I only glanced at the thing. I'll send the pdf to
the original poster and see if he knows more.

The fruit bats seemed to like them.

The fruit is spherical and smaller than a golf ball.

I have another photo of the tree... Shame I can't post it here.

A.