Old 10-12-2006, 11:57 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default persimmon / quince seedling trees

In article . com,
"lentildude" wrote:

Can anybody sell me a quince seedling or persimmon tree seedling?
I have tried many nurseries in Sydney and noone stocks any.
I wanted to give them to someone in time for xmas. I actually prefer a
seedling to a large tree - easier to gift wrap!

NO -- give your friend an IOU if they really want to grow such a tree.

YOU DO NOT PLANT TREES IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER IN SYDNEY!

If the heat doesn't kill them, the humidity will. Fruit trees should be
planted in about April. Frankly, the nursery people you spoke to should have
told you this. Buy some potted colour instead.

See the following book for information on the best varieties of quince and
persimmon to grow in Sydney:

Growing uncommon fruits & vegetables in Australia /
by Smith, Keith, 1939-
Frenchs Forest, NSW : New Holland, 1998.
ISBN: 1864363541 (pbk.)

BTW, my quince sapling was easily 4m when I bought it from Swane's at Dural,
so it had to be pruned to fit in my car. This is not a bad thing for a quince
tree. A pity I picked up the wrong variety; 'Smyrna' is late-ripening, and by
NSW law all quinces have to be removed from trees by the end of April IIRC as
otherwise they provide winter habitat for fruit flies.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue