Old 11-12-2006, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wind River Wind River is offline

Default Scuppernong care

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows if scuppernong vines are salt tolerant.

I recently returned to the land where my grandmother had lived in South
Carolina. As I was tromping through the trees and brambles that have
grown up over the decades, I was delighted to come upon the old
scuppernong vine and finding it still alive. The frame that it had grown
upon had fallen around it. As a child, I had enjoyed the grapes dangling
off of the frame. You could walk beneath it, and it was like a cave
created from vines.

I dug up some of the vines that had touched the ground and started to
take root in the soil. I brought it back to my home in Florida to try
and keep a piece of my family history alive (plus the delicious fruit).
My parents live in central Florida, but I live on the coast. I gave them
a piece to try and root, and I brought some here. It's sometimes
difficult to grow things in the sandy soil and salt air, so I became
concerned, but was unable to find much information on it.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, even if it means taking
all the cutting inland to my parents' house. Thank you.

Sue