Old 11-12-2006, 11:07 AM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H Linda H is offline

Default Waste water treatment systems

Geoff & Heather wrote:
Linda,

Our serviceman says ours runs for 15 min then stops for 5.
Geoff

Oh okay. I wonder how many times a day it does that. I looked at the
Septech website after responding to Pat's question and that said it can
run for about 6 hrs a day! There are only 2 adults most of the time at
home (1 adult child only home weekends) and ours doesn't appear to run
all that often but it's very quiet so I only notice it when near it.

Also, I gather Pat was wondering on the costs of running them. We've
been in our new place less than a year and we took a lot of care
considering running costs of power and appliances for the new house (we
have no gas mains in our area) but admittedly we forgot all about the
running costs of the waste system.

We had to have it anyway but we were incredibly surprised at how very
low our power bills have been and that is with the treatment plant
tacked on. In fact until now I forgot about its running costs. So from
what I gather treatment plants don't cost much to run at all.

Treatment plants are a brilliant thing. I reckon if people are building
on a large enough block in the suburbs and can allow room for the
drippers they'll be glad they installed it (about 200 square metres
under mulch was the minimum requirement for ours.) They'd never really
have to water gardens again. I don't know the regulations for average
sized blocks though. Everybody in our road has them except for two
older properties.