Old 23-03-2003, 11:32 PM
George Shirley

Default Last Seasons Seeds

Haven't tried vacuum sealing them as I need access at various times of
the year. I live in USDA zone 9b and pretty much garden year around.
Should work for long term storage though.

George

Glenna Rose wrote:

writes:
I have successfully frozen bean and pea seed for several years and then
let them warm to room temperature and planted. All with pretty good
germination and good growth. All other seeds are kept in the
refrigerator in a large air-tight plastic container, some of those are
six or seven years old and I still get good germination. Scientists have
successfully grown wheat from seed found in an Egyptian tomb and maize
from corn found in caves in the American SouthWest. Keeping the seeds
dry and airtight makes the point.

George

I've thought about sealing seeds in vacu-seal bags but wondered if there
might be some need for them to have some air. Any experience regarding
this?

Glenna