Old 22-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Rob Reali

Default Last Seasons Seeds

We have a ton of seeds left over from last season. They have been kept dry
and in good conditions, and I was wondering if I can use them again or if I
should scrap them and buy all new seeds??

Old 22-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Zphysics1

Place seeds in water. Those that sink are most probably viable. I just started
Tom Thumb lettuce from a 1997 packet and they are doing well.

/z.
Old 22-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Tim B

When in doubt you can just place a few of each inside wet paper towels in a
disposable cup (or of course anything similar you have on hand), and do a
germination test. Adjust your sowing rate to the germination rate you
observe.

Old 22-03-2003, 03:08 PM
zxcvbob

Rob Reali wrote:

We have a ton of seeds left over from last season. They have been kept dry
and in good conditions, and I was wondering if I can use them again or if I
should scrap them and buy all new seeds??

Onion seeds, and leeks should probably be replaced. Peppers, tomatoes,
beans, peas, eggplants, squash, melons, cucumbers, cabbage, broccoli,
turnips, mustard, lettuce are definately still good after 1 year. I
have no idea about corn, celery, dill, and carrots.

I save pepper and tomato seeds in particular for up to 5 years.

Best regards,
bob

--
Have a Windows® computer that is powered on for hours at a time? Join
the search for a cure for cancer: http://grid.org/projects/cancer/
Old 22-03-2003, 08:56 PM
MacTech

Onion seeds, and leeks should probably be replaced. Peppers, tomatoes,
beans, peas, eggplants, squash, melons, cucumbers, cabbage, broccoli,
turnips, mustard, lettuce are definately still good after 1 year. I
have no idea about corn, celery, dill, and carrots.

I don't know about celery, but we've used corn, carrot and dill seed
that we've had for several years. As long as the seed is stored in a
cool, dry place it will probably stay viable.

A neighbor of ours, who was truly an amazing gardener (retired farmer;
he has since passed away) had a particular kind of hybrid melon that
he really liked. He bought the seed in bulk, used a few seeds every
year — and used the seed for 20 years until it was gone.

"Testing seeds in water" works, too. The ones that sink are viable;
the ones that float are not. I use this method when harvesting seeds
from the garden. I discard the ones that float, let the others dry out
and then store them until the next spring.

LeAnn

http://ruralroute2.com
Old 23-03-2003, 12:08 AM
B.Server

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 08:36:45 -0500, "Rob Reali"
wrote:

We have a ton of seeds left over from last season. They have been kept dry
and in good conditions, and I was wondering if I can use them again or if I
should scrap them and buy all new seeds??

Empirically. Get paper towel. Wet it and fold it to make a pouch.
put 5-10 seeds of each type from your leftovers in the envelope. Put
the envelope in something that will help it retain the moisture, (a
plastic bag, for instance) and place the bad in a warm place, (on top
of the hot water heater, for example). See what germinates in 10
days. If you get a satisfactory percentage, use those seeds.

Old 23-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 10:10:32 -0800, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I don't know about celery, but we've used corn, carrot and dill seed
that we've had for several years. As long as the seed is stored in a
cool, dry place it will probably stay viable.

Ah, yes. I forgot that in my post. I keep the (resealed) seed packets
in a sealed mason jar at the back of the refrigerator.

I've seen advice to freeze them - what do you think?

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
Old 23-03-2003, 08:08 PM
George Shirley

I have successfully frozen bean and pea seed for several years and then
let them warm to room temperature and planted. All with pretty good
germination and good growth. All other seeds are kept in the
refrigerator in a large air-tight plastic container, some of those are
six or seven years old and I still get good germination. Scientists have
successfully grown wheat from seed found in an Egyptian tomb and maize
from corn found in caves in the American SouthWest. Keeping the seeds
dry and airtight makes the point.

George

Pat Meadows wrote:

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 10:10:32 -0800, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Old 24-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Sarah Sinclair

"Rob Reali" wrote in message
We have a ton of seeds left over from last season. They have been kept

dry
and in good conditions, and I was wondering if I can use them again or if

should scrap them and buy all new seeds??

I have kept seeds for years in screw top jars and they often
germinate. It is worth a try, what have you got to loose? Give it a
try and if it doesn't work you haven't lost anything. Sometimes you
get a lovely surprise, as what comes up isn't what you expect.
Old 24-03-2003, 02:56 PM
The Cook

"Rob Reali" wrote:

We have a ton of seeds left over from last season. They have been kept dry
and in good conditions, and I was wondering if I can use them again or if I
should scrap them and buy all new seeds??

I have never kept my seeds anywhere particular. The envelopes just
sit in a shoe box on a closet shelf. I get good germination. If I
have any seed left after 3 or 4 years, I will dump them and start
over. I now tend to keep them in a plastic 3 1/2" diskette box. Just
the right size for seed envelopes.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Old 24-03-2003, 04:56 PM
simy1

"Rob Reali" wrote in message ...
We have a ton of seeds left over from last season. They have been kept dry
and in good conditions, and I was wondering if I can use them again or if I
should scrap them and buy all new seeds??

Most of them will probably work. I keep all my seeds in a large ziploc
bag, in one of the small shelves on the freezer's door, and they keep
for many years.