Old 24-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Emrys Davies

Default COLUMN TYPE LEYLANDII

'alan',

Comparing Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Columnaris'
http://www.ruzeitopalovic.co.yu/vslike/str-82-1.jpg with Cupressocyparis
leylandii http://www.hortpix.com/pc4499.htm is not a very fair
comparison because they are not from the same family.

Also, Leylandiii is green whereas Columnaris has a blueish tinge.

Both eventually grow very tall but Columnaris definitely grows much
slower than Leylandii and it is very popular as a specimen conifer. Some
are quite slim but others, like mine, thicken out to about two meters
diameter and about thirty feet tall after some fifteen years or so. It
is well tapered and compact whereas Leylandii tends to be somewhat
loose.

Now that you have taken an interest you will be able to spot and compare
these conifers in your area as you will find that they are well
represented in all areas of the country.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"alan kearn" wrote in message
om...
Ive been told that that this type of Leylandii (Chamaecyparis
Columaris) is not fast growing.Or is my friend kidding me.

THANKS
Alan Kearn

P.S. How much is it likely to grow each year