Old 23-03-2003, 08:32 PM
alan kearn

Default COLUMN TYPE LEYLANDII

Ive been told that that this type of Leylandii (Chamaecyparis
Columaris) is not fast growing.Or is my friend kidding me.

THANKS
Alan Kearn

P.S. How much is it likely to grow each year
Old 24-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Emrys Davies

'alan',

Comparing Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Columnaris'
http://www.ruzeitopalovic.co.yu/vslike/str-82-1.jpg with Cupressocyparis
leylandii http://www.hortpix.com/pc4499.htm is not a very fair
comparison because they are not from the same family.

Also, Leylandiii is green whereas Columnaris has a blueish tinge.

Both eventually grow very tall but Columnaris definitely grows much
slower than Leylandii and it is very popular as a specimen conifer. Some
are quite slim but others, like mine, thicken out to about two meters
diameter and about thirty feet tall after some fifteen years or so. It
is well tapered and compact whereas Leylandii tends to be somewhat
loose.

Now that you have taken an interest you will be able to spot and compare
these conifers in your area as you will find that they are well
represented in all areas of the country.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

om...

Old 24-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Rod

"alan kearn" wrote in message
om...
Ive been told that that this type of Leylandii (Chamaecyparis
Columaris) is not fast growing.Or is my friend kidding me.

No he's not winding you up - Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Columnaris' or
Columnaris Glauca is a completely different plant, it is *not* a Leylandii.
it is much more compact, bluish in colour and relatively slow growing but it
does get big -it is closely related to the 'Lawson' cypress. Ours are about
7 metres high x 2metres wide after 27 years but still fairly neat and
compact.

Rod

Old 25-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Michael Berridge

Rod wrote in message ...
..
No he's not winding you up - Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Columnaris' or
Columnaris Glauca is a completely different plant, it is *not* a

Leylandii.

Isn't Leylandii a completely separate plant group to itself. I know is
came from a crossing of two other cypresses, but I think it is in a
group of just Leylandii.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk