Old 14-12-2006, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Has anybody planted a fairly long hedgerow?

"Ben Phlat" wrote in message
Zone 12 in California, want to plant a fairly long hedgrow along the
back property line to obscure view and some noise from the property
behind me. The length is 660', was thinking of oleander, pampas

grass
or maybe a combo of both. Drought tolerent would be good but I have
irrigation so it's not that necessary. Any body do anything similiar
that can comment or make suggestions?

Do you want a hedge or a hedgerow? I ask because there is a
difference in definition in many parts of the world. A hedge to me
would be just a few diffferent species (2 or 3) whereas a hedgerow in
many different species as it is used to give biodiversity.

I've used just Leyland cypress which grows like crazy for just a hedge
over that length (as would the laurel mentioned by others). For a
traditional hedgerow I'd include plants that have thorns and berries
for the birds (such as pyracantha or holly), plants that are bushy for
nesting and plants which have fruit like crabapples.

BTW, hedges dont really cut out noise - you need a forest for that.