Old 13-12-2006, 07:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg Gene Schurg is offline

Default aphrodite or amabilis? Please help

When I speak to groups at our show I often hold up an out of bloom plant.
With the label in the pot this plant is worth about $10 to $15 to a
collector. I pull the label out and say this same plant now may be worth
$5.

The big box stores plan to move the plant before it goes out of bloom so
"what you see is what you get". When the bloom is gone the plant goes into
the write off pile.

For smaller operations like the local neighborhood nursery the extra money
makes it worthwhile keeping the plant alive.

When I was younger I bought any orchid that the plant looked good and the
price was marked down. The first plants I bought were from HD picking them
out of the trash can at $.25 each. I still have some of those Den biggibum
hybrids. The NOID plants served their purpose of teaching me how to quickly
kill an orchid.

Now that I have a full house I have to be very selective about what I buy.
Personally, I would only buy an unlabeled plant if it was something I wanted
to try not to kill and the price was cheap.

Good Growing,
Gene

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
I was talking to one of the really big growers. He said what it would

cost
to put labels in all his plants was about equal to how much he took out of
the business. I though it seemed a bit far fetched so I did some
calculations with sales numbers from Greenhouse Grower and assumed labels
and man power would run between 10 and 20 cents per label. Numbers seemed
to be just about right on. It is not like these growers do not know what
they are growing, it is just the nature of the business. I am guessing

for
the box stores to carry plants with labels would add 50 cents to a dollar
per plant to the consumer.

Pat

"Weng" wrote in message

Orchis Wrote:
J -
Of course, just because something is a No ID hybrid Phal does _not_
have to
mean that it is unsuccessful and a throwback. If you like the looks of
it,
and are pleased with your purchase, that's what should count for you.
Some
of my favorite orchids are No ID hybrid Phals.

Joanna-

Thanks Joanna,

you're right, I have two NoID Phals and I'm so happy with them
I'm just a bit uncomfortable if they are without a name...

Bahram

I have at least 30 NoIDs ;-) And no, they don't have to be rejects. In
fact, quite the opposite. Most commercial plants are mericlones, and if
you are about to produce and raise a million plants, you'd chose the
very best, free-flowering parent money can buy! It is just a pity they
don't then tell you what it is.

I just label mine as Phalaenopsis hybrid #?. You could also give it a
clonal name, if you like. The label might then read Phalaenopsis
hybrid #2 'Walmart'. This way, the plant never gets into the wider
community under a false name.

Weng

--
Weng