Old 16-12-2006, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Max Wright[_1_] Max Wright[_1_] is offline

Default Mizuna and Winter Purslane

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article , "ajr" writes:

| Both of these plants were mentioned in an article that I read recently.
|
| Consequently, I'm thinking of growing them next year and have a couple of
| questions:
|
| 1. Are they worth the effort? I'm tempted to grow them whatever the
| answer, out of curiosity! :-)
|
| 2. Where can I buy seeds? I've searched the usual places (Suttons etc) to
| no avail.

Mizuna, yes. It makes a good salad vegetable, and a tolerable cooked
one. It is much less 'fierce' than most brassicas when eaten raw.

Winter purslane, not in my view. It doesn't taste of much.

Shame! I rather like Winter Purslane, aka Claytonia. To me it has a
pleasant fresh taste and slightly succulent texture. It's said to be
very high in vitamin C, grows well in winter (Mizuna, which I also like,
is much less hardy in my experience) and is an unusual looking little
plant, especially when it flowers. Its main drawback is the time it
takes to gather in quantity..

--
Max Wright
www.plotcrop.co.uk