Old 15-12-2006, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ajr ajr is offline

Default Mizuna and Winter Purslane

Good evening,

Both of these plants were mentioned in an article that I read recently.

Consequently, I'm thinking of growing them next year and have a couple of
questions:

1. Are they worth the effort? I'm tempted to grow them whatever the
answer, out of curiosity! :-)

2. Where can I buy seeds? I've searched the usual places (Suttons etc) to
no avail.

Many thanks in advance and a Merry Christmas to everyone.

Cheers,

Andrew

Old 15-12-2006, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

ajr wrote:
: Good evening,
:
: Both of these plants were mentioned in an article that I read
: recently.
:
: Consequently, I'm thinking of growing them next year and have a
: couple of questions:
:
: 1. Are they worth the effort? I'm tempted to grow them whatever the
: answer, out of curiosity! :-)
:
: 2. Where can I buy seeds? I've searched the usual places (Suttons
: etc) to no avail.
:
: Many thanks in advance and a Merry Christmas to everyone.
:
: Cheers,
:
: Andrew

Try the Organic Gardening Catalogue
http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/index.php

Old 15-12-2006, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "ajr" writes:

| Both of these plants were mentioned in an article that I read recently.
|
| Consequently, I'm thinking of growing them next year and have a couple of
| questions:
|
| 1. Are they worth the effort? I'm tempted to grow them whatever the
| answer, out of curiosity! :-)
|
| 2. Where can I buy seeds? I've searched the usual places (Suttons etc) to
| no avail.

Mizuna, yes. It makes a good salad vegetable, and a tolerable cooked
one. It is much less 'fierce' than most brassicas when eaten raw.

Winter purslane, not in my view. It doesn't taste of much.

Try Tuckers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-12-2006, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article , "ajr" writes:

| Both of these plants were mentioned in an article that I read recently.
|
| Consequently, I'm thinking of growing them next year and have a couple of
| questions:
|
| 1. Are they worth the effort? I'm tempted to grow them whatever the
| answer, out of curiosity! :-)
|
| 2. Where can I buy seeds? I've searched the usual places (Suttons etc) to
| no avail.

Mizuna, yes. It makes a good salad vegetable, and a tolerable cooked
one. It is much less 'fierce' than most brassicas when eaten raw.

Winter purslane, not in my view. It doesn't taste of much.

Shame! I rather like Winter Purslane, aka Claytonia. To me it has a
pleasant fresh taste and slightly succulent texture. It's said to be
very high in vitamin C, grows well in winter (Mizuna, which I also like,
is much less hardy in my experience) and is an unusual looking little
plant, especially when it flowers. Its main drawback is the time it
takes to gather in quantity..

--
Max Wright
www.plotcrop.co.uk

Old 16-12-2006, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ajr ajr is offline

"ajr" wrote in message
Good evening,

Both of these plants were mentioned in an article that I read recently.

Consequently, I'm thinking of growing them next year and have a couple of
questions:

1. Are they worth the effort? I'm tempted to grow them whatever the
answer, out of curiosity! :-)

2. Where can I buy seeds? I've searched the usual places (Suttons etc)
to no avail.

Many thanks in advance and a Merry Christmas to everyone.

Cheers,

Andrew

As always, many thanks to everyone for their replies.

Didn't realise that mizuna was a member of the brassica family!! The
artical gave the impression that it was similar to rocket - learn something
every day!

Cheers,

Andrew

Old 16-12-2006, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"ajr" writes:

| Didn't realise that mizuna was a member of the brassica family!! The
| artical gave the impression that it was similar to rocket - learn something
| every day!

Well, both rocket and the brassicas are cruciferae (the cabbage family)!
But the brassicas are a genus within that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-12-2006, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Max Wright writes:

| Shame! I rather like Winter Purslane, aka Claytonia. To me it has a
| pleasant fresh taste and slightly succulent texture. It's said to be
| very high in vitamin C, grows well in winter (Mizuna, which I also like,
| is much less hardy in my experience) and is an unusual looking little
| plant, especially when it flowers. Its main drawback is the time it
| takes to gather in quantity..

Chacun a son gout!

I agree that it was pleasant, but it wasn't interesting enough for me
to repeat.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-12-2006, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Robert" wrote:

ajr wrote:
: Good evening,
:
: Both of these plants were mentioned in an article that I read
: recently.
:
: Consequently, I'm thinking of growing them next year and have a
: couple of questions:
:
: 1. Are they worth the effort? I'm tempted to grow them whatever the
: answer, out of curiosity! :-)
:
: 2. Where can I buy seeds? I've searched the usual places (Suttons
: etc) to no avail.
:
: Many thanks in advance and a Merry Christmas to everyone.
:
: Cheers,
:
: Andrew

Try the Organic Gardening Catalogue
http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/index.php

Try Kings Seeds http://www.kingsseeds.com/
cheaper than either Chiltern or Organic.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr View Post
Both of these plants were mentioned in an article that I read recently.
Consequently, I'm thinking of growing them next year and have a couple of
questions:
1. Are they worth the effort? I'm tempted to grow them whatever the
answer, out of curiosity! :-)
2. Where can I buy seeds? I've searched the usual places (Suttons etc) to
no avail.
They are both easy to grow and are great for salads - or even can be cooked like spinach.

Both are on this page:
Original Touch Garden Seeds - Salad Leaves

Original Touch does a lot of unusual seeds worth trying:
Original Touch Vegetable Seeds, Garden Seeds, Flower Seeds and Tree Seeds - A Unique Selection

Hope that helps! Have you tried any yet? Would love to hear how you did.

Purslane Christina Websell[_2_] United Kingdom 20 07-05-2010 09:01 PM
Purslane Highest plant with omega 3 Bill who putters Gardening 1 15-03-2010 02:17 AM
Purslane zxcvbob Edible Gardening 33 30-08-2007 01:53 PM
Looking for a local source for Golden Purslane (Portulaca sativa) La Vie Dansante Texas 0 04-06-2005 02:46 AM
Mizuna/Mibuna seed Mark Allison United Kingdom 3 31-03-2004 08:12 AM