Old 17-12-2006, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna J Fortuna is offline

Default aphrodite or amabilis? Please help

Orchis,

Why not give them your own nicknames that you can use for your own purposes
when referring to them just for the fun of it. All my orchids have nicknames
that I use at home, and since I have no intention of either showing any of
them at an orchid show or reselling any of them, it does not matter -- also
I never put those nicknames on labels, so there is no confusion anyway. I
have one that is named "Streaky-cheeked tulip *******" because it has
streaks on its "cheeks" (petals)and as far as I know one of its ancestors
could have been an illegitimate offspring of a tulip (since it is a NoID).
Then there is "Penta-speckled Canary Twin" which has flowers that are sort
of pentagon shaped, spotted, yellow, and had two spikes when I got it (now
it has four spikes, so I guess I should call it Penta-speckled Canary
Quadruplet"). Others have shorter names such as "Doubloom," which is roughly
based on the old Spanish currency of the doubloon (sp?) because it's flowers
are flat and sort of golden like a gold coin; and "Lapel" which is peloric
(hence the nickname ends in pel). Who knows you might have fun inventing
your own nicknames for your No ID's, and I am sure you could be much more
creative than Phal NoID 'Walmart', right? :-)

For your information, none of your No ID Phals can ever be truly identified.
So when you say that kindly people have helped you identify the NoID Phals,
that is misleading. Since there are so many Phal hybrids out there and many
are similar to one another, all the forum members could tell you is that
there are these Phals that sort of look like your Phals, and may or may not
be the same or a related hybrid.

Best,
Joanna

"Orchis" wrote in message
ps.com...
J Fortuna schrieb:

"Weng" wrote in message
snip
Certainly, your plant does resemble a
specie, but so does a whole load of unsucessful hybrids and throwbacks.
Looking alike is not the same, I'm afraid. Sorry.

snip

Of course, just because something is a No ID hybrid Phal does _not_ have
mean that it is unsuccessful and a throwback. If you like the looks of
it,
and are pleased with your purchase, that's what should count for you.
Some
of my favorite orchids are No ID hybrid Phals.

Joanna

Thanks Joanna,

you're right, I have two NoID Phals and I'm so happy with them
and I enjoy this one so much. I think, if I would
work on hybridizing new orchids it would be important how clean
genetically
parents are, but I just love Phals and enjoy species, also with ID,
that I
have without knowing how clean they are.
Actually this one was only one between maybe 35 or 40
Phal hybrids in supermarket and I think it got there accidentally,
and I think it's more species than hybrid.
How many of us know for sure how clean species are that we have?
I could, with kindly help of people over here and other forum,
identify some of my NoID Phals and now I know I have
one peloric Phal Brother Cortez Red and it's just beautiful.
I'm just a bit uncomfortable if they are without a name...

Bahram