Old 18-12-2006, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Welsh Witch Welsh Witch is offline

Default Leylandii problem

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 19:10:24 +0100, Emery Davis wrote:

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:47:26 GMT
"MikeCT" wrote:

"Emery Davis" asked:

What are the moisture requirements for Phyllostachys nigra? Any
particular soil issues? And it really clumps and doesn't spread?

---
P. nigra, as do most other bamboo varieties, won't do well in soil that is
constantly too wet or too dry . It usually is compact, and
apart from cutting down the old branches requires very little maintenance.
They all prefer lots of organic matter, not too well matured. You don't need
to clear away the old leaves as these add perfectly to the natural ground
compost. Bamboos thrive in a full sun aspect but will also tolerate semi
shade.

Thanks, I will probably give this a try. Looks very nice.

-E

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I will plant small ones
in front and give them some nice food:-)