Old 18-12-2006, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Leylandii problem

Having broken my ankle and my husband his knee (!)our Leylandii was
allowed to grow like crazy.
We have managed to sort out the top reasonably, we don;t have to worry
about neighbours, but the problem is the bottom of the hedge is showing
gaps. It doesn't help that the dogs (large) think its a great playing
ground and run through and through...BUT is there anything that can be
done to thicken the bottoms?Will they thicken up now we've cut the tops. I
know the parts we've cut into excessively will remain brown but how about
the bottoms?
*************************************

Old 18-12-2006, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Welsh Witch" wrote in message
news
Having broken my ankle and my husband his knee (!)our Leylandii was
allowed to grow like crazy.
We have managed to sort out the top reasonably, we don;t have to worry
about neighbours, but the problem is the bottom of the hedge is showing
gaps. It doesn't help that the dogs (large) think its a great playing
ground and run through and through...BUT is there anything that can be
done to thicken the bottoms?Will they thicken up now we've cut the tops. I
know the parts we've cut into excessively will remain brown but how about
the bottoms?
*************************************

No they will not grow again. Do what a huge nursery has done near me, plant
new ones in front and let them grow.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 18-12-2006, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mike" writes:

| No they will not grow again. Do what a huge nursery has done near me, plant
| new ones in front and let them grow.

Or remove them and plant a more manageable hedge.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-12-2006, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" suggested:

...remove them and plant a more manageable hedge.
---

Consider Bamboo. OK, so there are a few that are not well behaved, giving
the rest a bad name. The ones that *are* well behaved make ideal plants for
boundary hedges or screens. Buy young non invasive plants as larger plants
can be expensive. Fargesia robusta or Phyllostachys nigra, the Black Bamboo,
are two of the best. P. nigra is usually compact and takes a year or so
before the stems turn black. However, the end result is worth waiting for.

MikeCT

Old 18-12-2006, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:33:42 GMT
"MikeCT" wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" suggested:

...remove them and plant a more manageable hedge.
---

Consider Bamboo. OK, so there are a few that are not well behaved, giving
the rest a bad name. The ones that *are* well behaved make ideal plants for
boundary hedges or screens. Buy young non invasive plants as larger plants
can be expensive. Fargesia robusta or Phyllostachys nigra, the Black Bamboo,
are two of the best. P. nigra is usually compact and takes a year or so
before the stems turn black. However, the end result is worth waiting for.

What are the moisture requirements for Phyllostachys nigra? Any particular
soil issues? And it really clumps and doesn't spread?

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 18-12-2006, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" asked:

What are the moisture requirements for Phyllostachys nigra? Any
particular soil issues? And it really clumps and doesn't spread?

---
P. nigra, as do most other bamboo varieties, won't do well in soil that is
constantly too wet or too dry . It usually is compact, and
apart from cutting down the old branches requires very little maintenance.
They all prefer lots of organic matter, not too well matured. You don't need
to clear away the old leaves as these add perfectly to the natural ground
compost. Bamboos thrive in a full sun aspect but will also tolerate semi
shade.

MikeCT

Old 18-12-2006, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:47:26 GMT
"MikeCT" wrote:

"Emery Davis" asked:

What are the moisture requirements for Phyllostachys nigra? Any
particular soil issues? And it really clumps and doesn't spread?

---
P. nigra, as do most other bamboo varieties, won't do well in soil that is
constantly too wet or too dry . It usually is compact, and
apart from cutting down the old branches requires very little maintenance.
They all prefer lots of organic matter, not too well matured. You don't need
to clear away the old leaves as these add perfectly to the natural ground
compost. Bamboos thrive in a full sun aspect but will also tolerate semi
shade.

Thanks, I will probably give this a try. Looks very nice.

-E

Old 18-12-2006, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 19:10:24 +0100, Emery Davis wrote:

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:47:26 GMT
"MikeCT" wrote:

"Emery Davis" asked:

What are the moisture requirements for Phyllostachys nigra? Any
particular soil issues? And it really clumps and doesn't spread?

---
P. nigra, as do most other bamboo varieties, won't do well in soil that is
constantly too wet or too dry . It usually is compact, and
apart from cutting down the old branches requires very little maintenance.
They all prefer lots of organic matter, not too well matured. You don't need
to clear away the old leaves as these add perfectly to the natural ground
compost. Bamboos thrive in a full sun aspect but will also tolerate semi
shade.

Thanks, I will probably give this a try. Looks very nice.

-E

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I will plant small ones
in front and give them some nice food:-)
**********************************

Old 18-12-2006, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Welsh Witch wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 19:10:24 +0100, Emery Davis wrote:

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:47:26 GMT
"MikeCT" wrote:

"Emery Davis" asked:

[...]

They may need a lot of that nice food, though not as much as they'll
need moisture when your Leylands are sucking hard. Had you considered
planting some native species or their relatives, if the aspect is
right? That way you do the local wildlife a good turn as well as
getting a more interesting decorative effect: Leyland's cypress doesn't
do much to support British invertebrates and birds.

Bamboos seem very expensive, if that matters; and, though I love them,
they do look foreign in most gardens.

--
Mike.

Old 19-12-2006, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Welsh Witch" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 19:10:24 +0100, Emery Davis wrote:

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:47:26 GMT
"MikeCT" wrote:

"Emery Davis" asked:

[...]

How about planting Yew in the holes-they are fairly fast growing and won't
mind the shade of the hedge. Given time you can remove the odd Leylandii and
end up with a hedge that will take no end of hacking and always regenerate.
Several types of Yew to choose from but I think the ordinary dark green one
is the fastest-particularly if fed.

Old 19-12-2006, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Welsh Witch" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 19:10:24 +0100, Emery Davis wrote:

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:47:26 GMT
"MikeCT" wrote:

"Emery Davis" asked:

[...]

You can't go wrong with Yew!
They are native; easy to keep neat; last for 1000 years if you ignore them;
make amazing stately topiary or hedging if you are that way inclined.

COLUMN TYPE LEYLANDII alan kearn United Kingdom 3 25-03-2003 11:32 PM
[IBC] Leylandii Cypress Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 10:55 PM
Leylandii Cypress ss Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 09:25 PM
using an angle-grinder to cut down live Leylandii dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 48 20-12-2002 12:11 AM
Leylandii - Its days are numbered! Drakanthus United Kingdom 49 18-12-2002 02:21 AM