Old 18-12-2006, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Welsh Witch Welsh Witch is offline

Default North to south or east to west (Rows)

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:17:37 +0000, MikeCT wrote:

"Colin Jacobs" asked:
snip
How do you grow your runner beans and sweet peas?
do the rows go east to west with the south and north facing aspect on the
plants or North to south with the east and west facing the bean rows.

A big can of worms was opened
What would you! do?

---
I grow my runner beans up wigwams, my neighbour prefers rows with a north,
south aspect. We both have heavy yields.

MikeCT

I am completely non expert on runner beans but I put them in east to west
as was done when my husband was able to do them. I was getting a bit
worried because they have been in the same place for some years. However
they grew and grew and I was kept much occupied chopping them up with a £3
patent chopper from the internet. I am so pleased that I didn't give up on
preparing them and putting them in the freezer. What a delight to have
such vibrant spring green beans yesterday for lunch!