Old 21-12-2006, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al[_1_] Al[_1_] is offline

Default Test

I went to a place called "Orchid World" in Florida one year and saw painted
Phals. "Orchid World" is kind of a Theme Park/Tourist Trap thing, the likes
of which only exist in Florida. I suppose a Midwest counterpart is
something like the Corn Palace or the World's largest String Ball. I don't
know if other countries have such things. Orchid World is reclaimed swamp
land near a strip mall that houses a place called "Beach Towel World" and
across the street from "Sea-Shell World" (if I remember correctly)

The painted orchids were on the empty pocket side of the ticket purchasing
booth and were in an island display of big white Phals painted.green, red,
and blue. It was very odd, in that they didn't look "painted" or 'dyed'.
Only problem is they didn't look real either. Some shades of blue, green
and red just don't show up as real concolor flowers. ...on any planet.
....in any universe. Still, it was eye-catching ...n a very Kitschy kind of
way.

"Steve" wrote in message
well, i saw one of those dyed poinsettias the other day--it looked
*diseased*-! ick!

there. does that help??

--j_a

Yes it does, a little.
You know, those artificially colored poinsettias were mentioned here last
week. I don't get to Lowes very often (3 hour round trip) but I went
shopping last Friday and I needed to look for something in Lowes. There
they were. Only a few next to a larger group of normal ones. The ones they
had were sort of lavender with glitter. The normal ones looked so much
nicer.

Steve