Old 21-12-2006, 05:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default Test

"Speaking from "bitter" experience, he says it's unlikely a kid or an
animal will eat more than one bite. He describes the taste as far worse
than the most bitter radicchio. Frankly, he says, the flavor is
indescribably awful. "
Let him take a little taste. You make a yucky face as you watch. He'll
see you, taste the bitter, and you'll never have to worry again.
Quote from he
http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/poinsettia.asp

Steve

Steve wrote:

They're not really poisonous, you know. (Not that Robert should be
eating them!)

Steve

J Fortuna wrote:

My main reaction to poinsettias, whether painted or not does not
matter, it's "No, Robert. No! Here have a insert object instead.
Isn't that a nice something or other? Much nicer than the yucky
poinsettia. No, you don't agree? Ok, let's go someplace completely
different then." [Exit me with screaming toddler in arms, going to the
other end of the room -- letting screaming child down someplace safer,
whereupon he immediately tries to go back to poinsettia etc etc]

I found myself looking at the poinsettias in our office building,
thinking, "why would our office management put those up? don't they
know that these things are poisonous, and make one throw up if
ingested." Then I remembered that my coworkers and I are not toddlers,
and thus everyone is probably safe from ingesting poinsettias at the
office. Similarly when I see a paper clip lying on the floor in the
office, my first thought is "that's a choking hazard" before I
remember that I am at the office. At an office lunch I realized
belatedly that I took too many paper napkins out of force of habit.
And as I was working on putting together a glossary for a document at
work, I found myself humming the alphabet song, since the glossary is
an alphabet sort of thing.

On the other hand, my mind is not completely taken up by the rampaging
toddler, my evidence for that is that my orchids are still doing quite
well, so I must be watering them often enough I suppose. Currently
only six of my orchids are in flower, but 18 are in spike or in bud!

Joanna

"Steve" wrote in message

well, i saw one of those dyed poinsettias the other day--it looked
*diseased*-! ick!

there. does that help??

--j_a

Yes it does, a little.
You know, those artificially colored poinsettias were mentioned here
last week. I don't get to Lowes very often (3 hour round trip) but I
went shopping last Friday and I needed to look for something in
Lowes. There they were. Only a few next to a larger group of normal
ones. The ones they had were sort of lavender with glitter. The
normal ones looked so much nicer.

Steve