Old 21-12-2006, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Welsh Witch Welsh Witch is offline

Default Hardy annuals

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 13:28:36 +0000, Des Higgins wrote:

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Looking for suggestions and its years since growing any hardy annuals.
Have been remodelling part of the garden and it will be a couple of years
until the permanent planting is looking good so need to fill some big
gaps.
I want to sow in situ
It must be medium to big in size.
Not too prone to slug attack as the new area has masses of vegetable
matter
in the soil and is bound to be very sluggy.
Not bothered about colour.
Any suggestions?
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Sun or shade Charlie ?

Great swaths of night scented stocks would smell amazing
Phlox
Sweet peas - would could grow them up something to fill tall gaps
Cosmos

Cosmos are not hardy (I think) but are very very good plants.
Purity have beautiful snow white flowers and keep flowering from July to end
October.
They easily grow in one season from seeds in trays in late April/May.
Christopher Lloyd recommended Cosmos purity to be grown with (have forgotten
name here :-)
ehh Mexican sunflower thing .... Compositae with bright orange flowers;
grows to 4-5 feet/1.5 metres high and also a half hardy annual; sow
in seed trays at same time as Cosmos.
We did them together one year and it was stunning. The following year it
was Arctic and then very windy for may and june and they never got going and
I never did it since.

Des

Foxgloves - there are nice varieties about nowadays - I know they are
biennials, but they seed about so well:~)
Lavatera

HTH Jenny

I've lately fallen in love with "Cleome" but they don't unfortunately have
any but they fill gaps splendidly are tall and look much more exotic than
I expected from the picture on the packet. They have a prescence en masse
from quite a distance which pleased me greatly!