Old 16-12-2006, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hardy annuals

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"MikeCT" wrote in message

If you avoid doing anything that involves work during the season does this
mean you are now active or do you hibernate during winter. Sounds like a
good deal to me:-))

Out on dry days with the shredder! building walls and paths etc and
planting. But all at a fairly relaxed pace :~)
I just try and avoid starting something that will need greenhouse space or
pricking out in spring because I know I don't get it done on time.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 16-12-2006, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gill Matthews" account I no longer have wrote
in message ...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Looking for suggestions and its years since growing any hardy annuals.
Have been remodelling part of the garden and it will be a couple of

years
until the permanent planting is looking good so need to fill some big
gaps.
I want to sow in situ
It must be medium to big in size.
Not too prone to slug attack as the new area has masses of vegetable
matter
in the soil and is bound to be very sluggy.
Not bothered about colour.
Any suggestions?
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

How about love-in-a-mist and cornflowers I used this mixture once and it
didnt seem to be too slug tasty. It did self seed a bit tho ;-)

Gill M

Well reminded! we used to do cornflowers, they were excellent so I shall add
them to the seed list. Love in the mist regrettably I love, but it loves
this garden and took over chocking everything so it had to go.

Old 16-12-2006, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
Looking for suggestions and its years since growing any hardy annuals.
Have been remodelling part of the garden and it will be a couple of
years until the permanent planting is looking good so need to fill
some big gaps. I want to sow in situ
It must be medium to big in size.
Not too prone to slug attack as the new area has masses of vegetable
matter in the soil and is bound to be very sluggy.
Not bothered about colour.
Any suggestions?

What about Cornflowers, Clarkia, Larkspur, Scabious, and Opium poppies.
You could try some new varieties of Helianthus - I rather fancy some of
the deep red shades they have now.

--
Sue

How do you get on with the larkspur sown direct in the ground? I may well
add some opium poppies to my list as well as they keep coming back for
years, although mine have now turned to being all double pinks, good time to
get some new blood perhaps.

Old 16-12-2006, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

. ie...

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

Christopher Lloyd recommended Cosmos purity to be grown with (have
forgotten name here :-)
ehh Mexican sunflower thing .... Compositae with bright orange flowers;

Remembered/googled now: Tithonia rotundifolia;
used to be able to get the species or varity Torch from T+M but now they
have a mixed colour one only.
Can probably get them from Chiltern. It looked so well combined with the
Cosmos purity that people used to stop and point at them in our front
garden.

Des

There's a name I had not heard of before, I will look it up

Old 16-12-2006, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rhiannon S" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Looking for suggestions and its years since growing any hardy annuals.
Have been remodelling part of the garden and it will be a couple of

years
until the permanent planting is looking good so need to fill some big

gaps.
I want to sow in situ
It must be medium to big in size.
Not too prone to slug attack as the new area has masses of vegetable

matter
in the soil and is bound to be very sluggy.
Not bothered about colour.
Any suggestions?

How about Corn Cockles (Agrostemma githago)
http://www.eseeds.com/c-3889-agrostemma-githago.aspx

Or good old fashioned pot marigold?
http://www.eseeds.com/c-6267-calendu...alis-nova.aspx

Are these any good?
--

Will take a look at Corn Cockles

Old 16-12-2006, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Christopher Lloyd recommended Cosmos purity to be grown with (have
forgotten name here :-)
ehh Mexican sunflower thing .... Compositae with bright orange flowers;

Remembered/googled now: Tithonia rotundifolia;
used to be able to get the species or varity Torch from T+M but now they
have a mixed colour one only.
Can probably get them from Chiltern. It looked so well combined with the
Cosmos purity that people used to stop and point at them in our front
garden.

Des

There's a name I had not heard of before, I will look it up

Like Cosmos though, they are not hardy.

Old 16-12-2006, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
"Sue" wrote
What about Cornflowers, Clarkia, Larkspur, Scabious, and Opium
poppies. You could try some new varieties of Helianthus - I rather
fancy some of the deep red shades they have now.

How do you get on with the larkspur sown direct in the ground? I may
well add some opium poppies to my list as well as they keep coming
back for years, although mine have now turned to being all double
pinks, good time to get some new blood perhaps.

Larkspurs grew well here sown direct even though I'm not very scientific
about it. All I did was scatter the seed in suitable areas, let them get
on with it and then thinned out later. We had a mix of blue with some
white which I was very pleased with, and they self-sowed again for the
following year.

I've nabbed seed from my MIL's double pink opium poppies for this coming
year, as hers all seemed to be sturdier and more multi-headed than mine.

My absolute favourite ones though started out as 'Black Peony' which was
a sumptuous deep dark burgundy double, but yes the seedlings do change
after a few years and there were too many reversions to single reds last
summer, so I may get some fresh seed for those.

--
Sue

Old 21-12-2006, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 13:28:36 +0000, Des Higgins wrote:

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Looking for suggestions and its years since growing any hardy annuals.
Have been remodelling part of the garden and it will be a couple of years
until the permanent planting is looking good so need to fill some big
gaps.
I want to sow in situ
It must be medium to big in size.
Not too prone to slug attack as the new area has masses of vegetable
matter
in the soil and is bound to be very sluggy.
Not bothered about colour.
Any suggestions?
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Sun or shade Charlie ?

Great swaths of night scented stocks would smell amazing
Phlox
Sweet peas - would could grow them up something to fill tall gaps
Cosmos

Cosmos are not hardy (I think) but are very very good plants.
Purity have beautiful snow white flowers and keep flowering from July to end
October.
They easily grow in one season from seeds in trays in late April/May.
Christopher Lloyd recommended Cosmos purity to be grown with (have forgotten
name here :-)
ehh Mexican sunflower thing .... Compositae with bright orange flowers;
grows to 4-5 feet/1.5 metres high and also a half hardy annual; sow
in seed trays at same time as Cosmos.
We did them together one year and it was stunning. The following year it
was Arctic and then very windy for may and june and they never got going and
I never did it since.

Des

Foxgloves - there are nice varieties about nowadays - I know they are
biennials, but they seed about so well:~)
Lavatera

HTH Jenny
***************************

I've lately fallen in love with "Cleome" but they don't unfortunately have
any but they fill gaps splendidly are tall and look much more exotic than
I expected from the picture on the packet. They have a prescence en masse
from quite a distance which pleased me greatly!

potting hardy annuals stuart noble United Kingdom 15 15-11-2012 06:36 PM
Hardy annuals and biennials Alison United Kingdom 0 06-02-2003 04:58 PM
Hardy annuals and biennials Martin Sykes United Kingdom 2 05-02-2003 06:25 PM
hardy annuals Marley1372 Gardening 3 27-01-2003 02:59 PM
Name your Top10 Hardy Annuals HaaRoy United Kingdom 1 18-01-2003 02:43 PM