Old 24-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Allegra

Default Unruly Red Ribbons

Mike tells me that

Heirloom will be here soon. I've ordered Darlow's Enigma. Now I'm done for
the year (HA!) I've heard about their catalogue. Gotta have it.

You are going to love this rose! It has become a very favorite
of ours, it grows like a weed and it is the essence of white
and yellow, yellow stamens. It has the most gorgeous fragrance.
Just wait.

The only HT I have is Oklahoma. I think. It was here when I moved in.
Realtor flowers. Nothing planted here except that rose and two hideous
orangish-red minis in the front yard planted right up against a wall with
grass underneath. Anyway, it's an obvious HT with high centered blood red
blooms, one to a stem and stingy with the foliage. Tiny hair-like prickles
cover the canes. Nicely fragrant, though. I whacked the heck out of it

this
year when I pruned in an attempt to get it to fill out a little. It seems
to have appreciated the severe pruning. Maybe it won't be 6' tall, 2' wide
with 4 blooms and a dozen sets of leaflets this year. That would be neato.

If not reclaim the real estate for a real rose.

Well, Farmer's says you'll be rainy this week. Farmer's says a lot of
things, though. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I feel kind of

guilty
enjoying all this yard work while you're under the clouds. I mowed today
and wandered the beds afterwards, pulling a few stubborn weeds (how do

they
get through that mulch???)

Pre-emergent weed killer. Buy yourself a paper shredder and
turn every bit of paper into mulch. First clean the bed well,
apply some weed killer in a calm day so there is no wind
to affect the foliage. Aim only at the ground and do not
spray openly or broadcast the spray. Just make sure to do
it so that it covers the area where the pests are. Next put
your shredded paper all over the bed, covering every inch
of space that you can see. Wet the paper well and then
cover the whole thing with manure or barkdust, whatever
you use for regular mulch. The paper works itself like
a lasagna bed, only that it keeps the weeds under and
allows the worms to do the work.

Then if a stray one makes it up, a shot of boiling water
is all it takes to send her back. Not near the roots of
the roses, however.

Whoever blooms
first this year gets to sit next to the new gazing globe. I promised.

I am with my friend Jim in Seattle; we are going to be dead
last when it comes to first bloom. Although who knows? if
Spring keeps us in suspense any longer I am going to begin
to wonder whether or not we are going to have any blooms!

Allegra