Old 21-12-2006, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson[_2_] Sally Thompson[_2_] is offline

Default OT Frogs

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:30:39 +0000, ForeverArsenal wrote
(in article ):

Hi all
A merry Christmas to you all.

Asking question in here because I could not find decent wild life group.

I have in my garden in Essex (Nr Great Dunmow) a small water
feature namely a (approx) 1 mtr wide oak barrel (bottom third)
that a old fashion cast iron pump with small electric fish tank pump.

Now problem is all year there are up to ten frogs living in it rent free
-)

Now that the cold spell is with us I turn the pump off as the water top
freeze's
and of course it would pump the water out of tub.

I've been breaking the ice 2 or 3 times a day (how do they live in that
temp)
but it does disturb the frogs and I don't know if I'm doing right or not,I
assume
they want to get out some times so break the ice up.

Anyone know for sure please best thing to do ??

We get frogs living in the bottom of our pond during the winter, but it's big
enough (and moving water) not to have to break any ice. You might find the
answer at Froglife: http://www.froglife.org/. There's a phone number on
their site if you can't find a direct answer.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk