Old 21-12-2006, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Frogs

Hi all
A merry Christmas to you all.

Asking question in here because I could not find decent wild life group.

I have in my garden in Essex (Nr Great Dunmow) a small water
feature namely a (approx) 1 mtr wide oak barrel (bottom third)
that a old fashion cast iron pump with small electric fish tank pump.

Now problem is all year there are up to ten frogs living in it rent free
:-)

Now that the cold spell is with us I turn the pump off as the water top
freeze's
and of course it would pump the water out of tub.

I've been breaking the ice 2 or 3 times a day (how do they live in that
temp)
but it does disturb the frogs and I don't know if I'm doing right or not,I
assume
they want to get out some times so break the ice up.

Anyone know for sure please best thing to do ??
--
Barry.

Old 21-12-2006, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:30:39 +0000, ForeverArsenal wrote
(in article ):

Hi all
A merry Christmas to you all.

Asking question in here because I could not find decent wild life group.

I have in my garden in Essex (Nr Great Dunmow) a small water
feature namely a (approx) 1 mtr wide oak barrel (bottom third)
that a old fashion cast iron pump with small electric fish tank pump.

Now problem is all year there are up to ten frogs living in it rent free
-)

Now that the cold spell is with us I turn the pump off as the water top
freeze's
and of course it would pump the water out of tub.

I've been breaking the ice 2 or 3 times a day (how do they live in that
temp)
but it does disturb the frogs and I don't know if I'm doing right or not,I
assume
they want to get out some times so break the ice up.

Anyone know for sure please best thing to do ??

We get frogs living in the bottom of our pond during the winter, but it's big
enough (and moving water) not to have to break any ice. You might find the
answer at Froglife: http://www.froglife.org/. There's a phone number on
their site if you can't find a direct answer.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 21-12-2006, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"ForeverArsenal" wrote in message

Anyone know for sure please best thing to do ??
--

Poke holes in the ice

Old 21-12-2006, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi all
A merry Christmas to you all.

Asking question in here because I could not find decent wild life
group.

--
Barry.

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:30:39 +0000, ForeverArsenal wrote
(in article ):
We get frogs living in the bottom of our pond during the winter, but it's
big
enough (and moving water) not to have to break .

..Hi Sally
Many thanks for your reply,have sent mail to site you gave link to.

Have a nice one :-) and happy new year to you .

Barry

Old 21-12-2006, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

louisxiv" wrote in message

Anyone know for sure please best thing to do ??
--

Poke holes in the ice

Hi louisxiv

Been doing that but a little worried as it does disturb them
no matter how careful I am.

Thanks for reply.
Best wishes for the new year.

Barry.
If it ain't broke-don't fix it.
"

Old 21-12-2006, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi,
With pump running the water should not freeze until temp goes below
about -5C. Usual practice is to place small ball , polystyrene/ or similar
onto top of water in pond then each morning pull it out leaving a section of
surface where gas exchange can take place.
I leave my pond pump running all winter in 1 pond, always have a section of
the pond clear of ice where water re-enters the pond from the small stream
ive built, this also provides fresh running water for the local bird
populace to drink and bathe.

I have a wildlife pond which regularly freezes over during winter,(no pump)
its the first of my 5 small ponds to have spawn in, have also noticed going
down garden at night with torch, that newts are finding their way back
recently.
regards
Cineman

Old 22-12-2006, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

louisxiv" wrote in message

Anyone know for sure please best thing to do ??
--

Poke holes in the ice

Hi louisxiv

Been doing that but a little worried as it does disturb them
no matter how careful I am.

Thanks for reply.
Best wishes for the new year.

Barry.
If it ain't broke-don't fix it.
"

Look in here (same site as recommended by Sally):

http://www.froglife.org/FAS/1.pdf

The floating ball technique. Simple but effective!

Old 22-12-2006, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Breaking the ice by hitting it or knocking holes in it sends shock
waves through the water that may damage the frogs. It's definitely not
recommended for goldfish, but frogs may be more robust. As others have
said, leave a ball floating in the water that will keep a small hole
unfrozen. Alternatively, melt the ice in one spot by standing a pan of
boiling water on it. Pouring boiling water onto the ice works
eventually, but the effect is dissipated as the water runs over the
entire surface. A hot pan keeps it concentrated at one spot. For a
small pond like yours, you could lift the ice out in one piece, break
it up away from the pond and return the bits so that the water level
doesn't drop.

--
Chris

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 10:24 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 05:20 AM