Old 22-12-2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson Susan Erickson is offline

Default Ping SuE

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:50:17 -0800, "K Barrett"
wrote:

Denver is coverd in snow. They closed the airport. Are you OK?

Kath

We are fine. About 2 feet fell. the problem is what blew. My front
door flower bed, which usually gets 2" and then melts dry, is waist
deep in snow. It did not quit snowing in Denver until after noon. We
are 50 miles north and woke to bright clear skys. After 5 cleanings
we can get out. In fact our drive is dry. It is just the piles that
we are not used to any more. When you live in snow country you kind
of expect every corner to be blind due to snow piles, we are not in
the habit of that anymore. Deciding which side of the drive to build
the pile was an unusual event. In Chicago it is automatic, here it is
unheard of.

My daughter who is 4' 6" has a 4-foot high drift between her garage
door and the street.

We even saw the tracks of that vanishing species; Snow Plow efficient.
They plowed 1 pass up the street tonight. I think the last time they
plowed the street was March 15, 2003. That was the last big snow that
Metro Denver had. And I am not even sure we got that much of it. We
are north and east of Boulder so that we are in a mountain shadow
rather than at the foot of a pass. This allows some shadow protection
from most snow. This one came from the east and ran up against the
mountains which caused it to dump. An upslope snow is like a lake
effect snow.. fells unending. And D U M P S.

SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids