Old 24-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Compost bins

John Griffiths wrote in
:

I have just emptied 2 compost bins and have loads of beautiful compost.
Is it advisable to use this compost for tomatoes in my greenhouse or
should I do what I have always done and use sterilised John Innes ??

As other posters have said, your tomatoes should be fine in your compost (I
am growing peppers in mine this year) but you may want to cover the surface
to reduce the number of weed seedlings, unless your compost bins are huge
and get really hot.

My compost produces oodles of goosegrass seedlings for example - they are
easy enough to weed, of course, but a bit annoying in the well-fed warm
environment of a greenhouse, where I don't always spot them immediately
among the other foliage.

Victoria