Old 23-03-2003, 06:21 PM
John Griffiths

Default Compost bins

I have just emptied 2 compost bins and have loads of beautiful compost.
Is it advisable to use this compost for tomatoes in my greenhouse or
should I do what I have always done and use sterilised John Innes ??

--
John Griffiths
Baxenden Lancashire

Old 23-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Little Badger

John
If it's good compost then you can use it for almost anything including your
tomatoes! The only thing I would be careful about is using it on acid loving
plants!

Badger

Old 24-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Victoria Clare

John Griffiths wrote in
:

I have just emptied 2 compost bins and have loads of beautiful compost.
Is it advisable to use this compost for tomatoes in my greenhouse or
should I do what I have always done and use sterilised John Innes ??

As other posters have said, your tomatoes should be fine in your compost (I
am growing peppers in mine this year) but you may want to cover the surface
to reduce the number of weed seedlings, unless your compost bins are huge
and get really hot.

My compost produces oodles of goosegrass seedlings for example - they are
easy enough to weed, of course, but a bit annoying in the well-fed warm
environment of a greenhouse, where I don't always spot them immediately
among the other foliage.

Victoria
Old 24-03-2003, 06:20 PM
John Griffiths

In article , John Griffiths
writes
I have just emptied 2 compost bins and have loads of beautiful compost.
Is it advisable to use this compost for tomatoes in my greenhouse or
should I do what I have always done and use sterilised John Innes ??

Thanks to all who replied - I had some idea that I should be trying to
sterilise the compost - don't know where I got that from. It looks and
feels wonderful stuff and has saved me a lot of money.
Thanks again
--
John Griffiths
Baxenden Lancashire

Old 24-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Little Badger

John
One suggestion would be to use Jeyes Fluid to sterilise your compost!

Old 25-03-2003, 03:56 PM
John Griffiths

Badg
I did think of that but then thought I would have to leave it a long
time before I could use the compost
John

In article , Little
Badger writes