Old 24-12-2006, 05:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener madgardener is offline

Default change in hardiness zones due to global warming

wrote:
http://arborday.org/media/zones.cfm

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Interesting how the climate for some of us has altered in our gardening
patterns. I started out in zone 6 in middle Tennessee, lived in
Denver's zone 5 for five years, (there is at least one of you I've sent
this to that has lived for a few decades, gardening in Denver, and
remembering the blizzards and deep snows that are prevailing this year,)
then after settling into a zone 6b zone for almost ten years, I moved to
Eastern Tennessee in 1992, where I happened upon the first two years of
the gradual change in THEIR climate. Nashville had already started
changing, and I remembered it actually started as far back as the mid
seventies. Nevertheless... This website is awesome in that it shows
with reasonable accuracy exactly what I've been able to observe from
having gardened and lived in three places and zones over the last 54
years. The animation of how the zones have changed and the differences
in rising and falling (not many) temperatures drove home things as a
gardener I've started noticing. Warmer winters, more rains.....or more
snow's for some g But I appreciate this showing me with clarity where
I garden and what I can tuck into my already bursting fairy gardens some
things that might be a bit more tender were it not for it being warmer
in my region now. I hope you can get the full effects of the animation.
Gardeners are so easy to please! gbseg Happy Solstice, and check the
Hellebore's, they're making leaves and pre-buds here in Fairy Holler!
And here I am wishin' for snow! (we still got January and February to
get through, and there's ALWAYS the distinct possiblity of a snit fit
and a good dump in early March........) not for 13 years now......but
I'd not mind one....LOL The flowers and perennials benefit from a good,
deep snow for about a week-

madgardener up on the damp and chilly ridge, back in Fairy Holler,
overlooking a clear and sharp English Mountian in pre-Christmas Eve, in
Eastern Tennessee, zone 7,Sunset zone 36 (I might have to re-figure this