Old 24-12-2006, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default Allotment Forum

wrote in message
ups.com...
Alan Holmes wrote:
Why the hell do you want to post on an 'allotment' forum when there is a
perfectly good newsgroup here, in which someone will answer any queries
you
may have.

I've noticed the sad decline of Usenet in the last 3 years. I suspect
that it goes un-noticed because no-one makes money from it, and hence
there is no publicity.

Years ago there were no online forums. Not as many people had internet
access either and the people who did were somewhat more computer conversant.
Usenet was a bit of an in crowd thing - it isn't anymore.

URG is a prime example of this. In the 'good old days' it was a group of
people who used to converse on-line and there were real life meets where
people got to know each other. Nowadays people tend to pop in ask a question
and not participate to the degree some of the long term 'residents' here
would like "~) I don't have a problem with this at all - I even tend to ask
questions myself in groups were I don't 'participate'. It's more like person
one helps person twoo, then person two helps person three
etc.......eventually person one gets and answer from person thirty five !

But there may be another reason: perhaps text-only is not seen as sexy
by younger users?

Good point ! Internet is becoming such a visual medium - Utube is brilliant
:~)

I used to work on ships where the after-dinner video
was a major social event. I noticed that if I put a black-and-white
film on that everyone under the age of 35 would wander off, as though
they could not see it.

Did you see that nice BBC prog yesterday about Christmas Past (Ghost of
Christmas) ?? It was REALLY nostalgic !!!

Perhaps Usenet is the same. Without atavars,
icons, flashing smileys, some people can't read it?

A lot of the older generation will now not have a clue what your talking
about :~))

Jenny