Old 24-12-2006, 10:03 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens
[email protected] dr-solo@wi.rr.xx.com is offline

Default Fig and Olive Container-growing Help

I can only speak to figs. I live in zone 5 (well now zone 6) so I cannot plant figs
directly in the ground. Instead I planted in containers so I could haul them inside
for winter. I modified the container "protocol" and have large holes in the bottom
so roots can grow thru the container and into the ground for moisture and manure.
When we move the containers the roots get snapped, sort of root pruning.
Fig trees planted in the ground tend to get huge and VERY messy with all the fruit
falling. I train the figs in the containers more to bushes by pinching back growth.
My figs are young but very productive already.
http://weloveteaching.com/landscape/figs/figgrove.htm
I now have 9 figs and have maxed out on as there is no more space for them.
Fig trees really like water. I would never plant them near a sewer run. Ingrid

wrote:
I want to plant an olive for dappled shade on or near our sunny deck,
and a fig nearby for the fruit and the birds they attract.

However a sewer runs close by (maybe 1.5mm below the surface,
horizontal-drilled under the deck) and I worry what damage the
olive and fig roots might do to that.

So I thought of containers.

Assuming I get an olive (pictual, verdale?) and a fig (which?) that
will suit container planting, what are the requirements for such
container set-ups?

Size of container. They'll eventually need to be fairly big. What's
the procedure? Buy a small 1m high olive and fig plant and re-pot them
into progressively bigger containers, or do I just put each young
plant into a container big enough for the adult tree?

Drainage. The containers must drain quite freely - they'd need to be
raised up from our clay-based soil. I'd best not sink them into the
ground. Is that right?

Potting mix. What do you recommend to start with and what feeding
do I do to replenish the mix?

Brian

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/