Old 24-12-2006, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default O/T I feel very annoyed re this scam!

"Welsh Witch" wrote in message
news
I have for the last few days been watching an advertisement on TV from
"Friendsreunited" They say "free to search" elsewhere they say "free to
register"
. I registered and duly wrote down various details which wws free.....
Then I tried to get to other places accessed by buttons. None of these
worked. Then up comes a notice that I must "upgrade" my membership by
paying £7-50 per half year. That is a very small sum of money...feeling
slightly miffed I did send my cc number as I had seen my first boyfriend's
name on the list....(NO I am not looking for another male partner!!) just
nosey thinking I'd like to know what had happened to everyone. I have just
seen the ad on again.Free to search...free to register it said! I would
have been quite happy if they had said "only £15 per year to register and
search"...quite happy but I feel this is deceitful just another to add to
the list of modern scams!
******************************

Try doing what my school did,
Someone set up a yahoo group in the schools name then used the bit of FR
where you say something about yourself to point people at the address.
Managed to find around two thirds of the kids I was at boarding school with
that way.
Trouble with FR was no one ever replied to the messages most people sent
where as with a group thing they are open and if the person concerned has
moved on and changed email etc a third party would quite often be able to
make the contact.
good luck
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.