Old 24-12-2006, 01:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default O/T I feel very annoyed re this scam!

I have for the last few days been watching an advertisement on TV from
"Friendsreunited" They say "free to search" elsewhere they say "free to
register"
.. I registered and duly wrote down various details which wws free.....
Then I tried to get to other places accessed by buttons. None of these
worked. Then up comes a notice that I must "upgrade" my membership by
paying £7-50 per half year. That is a very small sum of money...feeling
slightly miffed I did send my cc number as I had seen my first boyfriend's
name on the list....(NO I am not looking for another male partner!!) just
nosey thinking I'd like to know what had happened to everyone. I have just
seen the ad on again.Free to search...free to register it said! I would
have been quite happy if they had said "only £15 per year to register and
search"...quite happy but I feel this is deceitful just another to add to
the list of modern scams!
******************************
Old 24-12-2006, 03:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Welsh Witch typed

[...]

IMO the real scam is that they have sneakily upped their subs from £7.50
per year to £7.50 per half year.

This means it has trebled since I joined in 2002.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old 24-12-2006, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Welsh Witch" wrote in message
news
[...]

Interesting that you should come up with that observation right now! I gave
a Lecture on a Cruise earlier this month on finding your old forces friends,
amongst other methods, was friends and forces reunited the groups you
mention. I gave the warning pointing out that yes it is free to register and
that they 'have XXX Millions Registered', but how many subscribers? I
haven't heard of too many success stories, however my methods have reunited
many :-))

There's is a money making scam. Rather like the National Service Medal which
you have to buy! OK OK I know 'some' money goes to a good cause, but profit?
Where does that go?

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 24-12-2006, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

It is indeed free to register and search BUT you can't send emails to the
people you find!!

I signed up for one year and got in touch with several old school buddies.
The 1st boyfriend however did not show :~(((((
Jenny

Old 24-12-2006, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 15:22:28 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 03:13:40 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

Welsh Witch typed

[...]

I paid GBP5 when I joined. I don't know anybody who paid more than once.

I have been asked for renewal fee each year; was £5 now £7.50. I
didn't realise it was half-yearly.
You're lucky if you've never had to renew.

Pam in Bristol

Old 24-12-2006, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Try doing what my school did,
Someone set up a yahoo group in the schools name then used the bit of FR
where you say something about yourself to point people at the address.
Managed to find around two thirds of the kids I was at boarding school with
that way.
Trouble with FR was no one ever replied to the messages most people sent
where as with a group thing they are open and if the person concerned has
moved on and changed email etc a third party would quite often be able to
make the contact.
good luck
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 24-12-2006, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
writes
snip

I have been asked for renewal fee each year; was £5 now £7.50. I
didn't realise it was half-yearly.
You're lucky if you've never had to renew.

I met everyone I wanted to meet in the first two years, so didn't renew
after that.
--
June Hughes